Daisy-Doodle, Pop-Pop and Hols

I opened the front door of Nottingham Cottage. It was early Monday evening, and Valley's car was parked outside next to mine, so I knew that they were home. I put my suitcase down at the bottom of the stairs and put my bag next to it before going through to the kitchen, where I could hear voices. I stood in the doorway. Valley was stood with her back to the room at the hob, while the girls both sat at the island with colouring books and pens spread out in front of them. I reached into my back pocket and took a picture, which I sent to Mom, with the caption I'm home. I then put my phone back in my pocket and coughed. The girls and Valley both turned around immediately. The girls immediately got up from the stools at the island and ran towards me. I picked up Holly before bending down and hugging them both.

"Daisy-doodle I missed you so much." Poppy said as we continued to hug each other.

"I missed you guys too, have you had a good time with Valley?" I asked them, as I got up and the three of us went to sit down at the island.

"Yeah, she took us to Legoland at the weekend and it was so much fun." Holly said.

"That sounds amazing." I said.

"How's Australia?" Holly said. She climbed off the stool and onto mine, sitting on my lap with her head resting on my chest.

"It is amazing Hols, you two are going to love it. Mom and Dad are missing you both loads but they're so excited to see you. And us three are going to have a fun week before we fly out on Friday aren't we?" I said as I stroked Holly's hair and Poppy carried on colouring. By this time Valley was standing next to me, holding my shoulders.

"I missed you gorgeous girl." Valley said as she stroked my hair. "Are you three going to be alright this week?" she asked. The three of us looked her and smiled.

"Yes Valley, we'll be fine, did you need to get back home?" I said.

"Yeah, I sort of do, Jack gets back tomorrow morning so I want the house to be ready for him." She said making reference to her second husband, after my grandfather, who worked in Central London every other week and lived in Windsor for the other time. Valley and Jack had been together for years and even though they were both getting a bit old, they weren't yet old enough to retire. But the girls and I adored them both, even though Jack was of no relationship with me and the girls had no relationship to either of them.

"Ok, that's fine. We can have some dinner and then Mom wants us to call her because she said she hasn't spoken to you for a few days. And then bedtime and then tomorrow you're both going to school." I said, before Valley went upstairs and the girls and I began to decide what to have for dinner.

Eventually, we decided on nacho's, so while the girls carried on which their colouring, I started to make us some dinner. Once it was in the oven, Valley came down, having packed her stuff and said goodbye. The girls and I then ate dinner together before calling Mom. While, I cleared away from dinner, the girls went upstairs and put their pyjamas on. When I went up, they were both in their beds, Poppy holding a story which the two of them wanted me to read. Holly came and got into bed with Poppy and I as I read the story to them both. When I had finished the story, I put the book down and held them both close to me.

"Daisy-doodle, please can I ask you a question?" Poppy said as she lifted her head from the pillow.

"Yes Pop-pop," I replied.

"Is this what it's going to be like when Mommy has the baby?" she said.

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

"I mean like me and you and Holly because Mommy and Daddy will be with the baby." Poppy said.

"Hey, just because Mom is having a baby, that doesn't mean that she's going to forget about you. And no matter what, you will always, always have me. Are you worried about Mommy having a baby?" I asked her.