Chapter Twelve - Contemplate

Start from the beginning

Kat rolled her eyes, eager to leave, to be away from the scent that pricked tears in her eyes and the witch who irked her.

"The Three?" Kat grumbled.

The Seer took out an old, withered piece of paper, an address was printed in faded ink.

"And you're sure they're still there?" Kat whispered, looking at the key to banishing her problems in her hand.

"I'm sure." The Seer shrugged.

Kat clasped her hands and whispered a quick thank you, leaving the hut in search of an Internet cafe.

A couple of towns away, she found a 24hr place. Neon signs glowed in the window.

After flirting her way to five minutes on a computer, Kat had the coordinates.

She sighed as she left, Canada, of course.

She looked at the print out of the map in her hand. There was only one way to her destination.

Her other problem was transport, she needed to get there fast. Her muscles ached from days of running and crying. She could get there in 11 hours, if she drove. At least her body would have that time to recuperate.

Kat sighed again, looking at the cars in the parking lot.

She knew she could never steal one, it just wasn't in her to take something for free that others had worked so hard to afford.

Kat rubbed her head, debating what to do next. She had only one option.

She grumbled, crossing the street to a payphone.

Her hands shook as she picked up the phone, her fingers flitting over the keypad, remembering his number with ease as she placed the collect-call.

He answered on the third ring. His voice coming, breathlessly, through the receiver. She'd obviously interrupted a workout.

"Hello?"

Kat lost all ability to speak. His voice transported her, she felt herself in his arms.

He repeated his greeting, a frown in his tone, irritation building.

"Hi. It's me." Kat choked out. Gulping hard as her heart hammered in her chest.

This was a bad idea! Really bad! Terrible!

"Kat?" His voice came softly, his shock evident. She nodded, before realising he couldn't see her.

"Yes, I, you-"

Kat swallowed, embarrassment curling around her spine.

"You said if I ever needed your help-"

"Yes?" She could hear his smile.

"Well, I need your help." Kat sighed.

There was a moment of silence, Kat held her breath.

"Of course, anything. Name it."

"I- I'd really appreciate a car, to loan for a couple of days, and some cash for gas. If that's okay?"

"Certainly. Where are you?"

Kat looked for street signs, before relaying the information.

A low growl came from the other end of the phone as the man argued in whispers with someone his end.

"I can't get to you until morning. Do you have somewhere you can lay low?"

"You're coming?" Kat squeaked, panicking.