Chapter Ten - Commune

Start from the beginning

"Cal-"

"Don't, please. I know you pity him. I can't bear it, feeling your pity and my own."

"Your mother, she -"

Cal nodded, "Murdered."

"By Konan." Kat said simply. It made sense, Tate had indicated that Konan had irreparably harmed Cal's family. Now she knew how.

Cal gritted his teeth.

"It is beautiful here, you know." Kat looked around as Cal snorted.

"It's a ghost town. 150 wolves live here, half of themselves. Their mates ripped from them by Konan. He didn't have the courage to stand and fight. He sent spies to sniff out my father's warriors and executed their mates, rendering them useless. He finally sneaked in himself, for my mother. She fought hard, to her death. My father and I chained, out of reach. She really fought, you know, I see her fight in you." He touched Kat's chin softly.

"How long?"

"Three years. Still feels like yesterday."

"And he just let your father live?"

"It's the ultimate torture, right? To leave him, empty, the threat hanging over his son."

"What threat?" Kat frowned.

"You didn't wonder why Vilkas was so happy his sister was not my mate? He knew, as everyone knows, the minute I claim a mate, Konan comes for her. To turn me into a shell, like my father. With me gone, our line ends, the pack goes to him, without him having to fight for the title."

Kat listened quietly, taking in his words. Strangely, she felt no fear. She looked around the little village, fury for these lost wolves rising in her throat. Her eyes fell on the armed guards, stationed every few houses.

"Why the guards here? He wouldn't bother coming back."

"For their own safety." Cal sighed, watching the zombie-wolves warily.

"That was a good day, for my father. He's usually more confused. Sometimes he doesn't remember me at all."

He shuddered, his pain twisting through the bond, into Kat.

As they reached the gate, a hand closed around the back of Kat's throat. She gasped as the wolf wrenched her backwards, away from Cal.

He cried out as her hand slipped from his.

"You smell like him." The crazed wolf buried his nose into her hair and spat over her shoulder, his arm wrapping around her neck.

"Let her GO." Cal boomed, the wolf stumbled, dropping her with force, the Alpha command knocking him off his feet.

Kat turned to the wolf as his eyes blinked opened in confusion, he looked up at her, blankly.

A guard readied his rifle, at the back of the wolf's head.

"Stop, he didn't know-" Kat's words were drowned out by the gun shot.

The gate buzzed open and Cal's hand pulled her out as she watched guards roll the body into a bag and take it away swiftly, she looked to the zombie-wolves. They hadn't noticed a thing, not one had even flinched.

The gate slammed closed and Cal pulled her into his arms, breathing heavily, she could taste his fear. He released her slightly, brushing her hair away from her neck to inspect the area, his fingers rubbing over the red marks the wolf's nails had left.

"I'm fine, Cal." He looked her deep in the eyes as he placed his open palm against her heart. It rose to hammer against him, he sighed, feeling the strong beating, closing his eyes.

Imperial Moon [Complete]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara