Order of the Olympians Chapter 26

Start from the beginning

Harry gave a determined nod and looked to the phone booth behind them. "This is the only way I know how to get in, but I'm not sure if we will all fit inside."

Nico rolled his eyes and stepped forward. "Just give me an estimate of how far below we are going."

Harry thought about it for a second before clasping a hand on Nico's shoulder. "Roughly twelve stories." The Son of Hades nodded and waited for everyone to be connected.

Reyna grimaced, "Are you sure you can handle the jump?"

Will nudged his boyfriend. "Nico's been killing his shadow-travel lately. His doctor approves." This earned Will a rare smile before the group disappeared into the night.

When Percy opened his eyes, he was standing on the cool obsidian tiles of the Ministry of Magic lobby along with Harry and the other demigods. Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Luna were all lying across the floor trying to shake off nausea chills.

Leo's smile was infectious, and Percy was glad he had joined them, "I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not used to being flung through the shadows." They helped their friends up to their feet and looked expectantly towards Harry, who pointed to the left of the golden fountain thirty yards in front of them.

As they passed by, Percy questioned the concentrated look on Will's face. He just shook his head, "It's nothing, just looks different from my dream, that's all."

Percy thought it was strange that there wasn't a single soul around, and the block of ice that had settled in his stomach slowly melted as his feeling of foreboding increased. Shouldn't there at least be some kind of security?

They found themselves in front of a grand set of elevator doors, which reminded him a little of the gateway to Olympus. Harry pressed the down button, and when the doors opened seamlessly, everyone fit inside. "Press number nine!" He called out, and Leo obliged. A sudden jolt in movement forced them down, and a cool female voice announced, "Department of Mysteries."

"Wands out!" Percy hissed, his voice echoing across the slick black corridor walls in front of them. Harry's anxiety flared as he stared fixated on the plain black door ahead. He swallowed loudly and turned towards the group. "This...this is it. I guess I can't convince any of you to stay here?" The look on their faces gave him his answer.

Percy moved next to him as they stepped across the threshold, slightly unnerved by the way the door swung open on its own. Inside, they found a large, circular room that lived up to its 'mysterious' name. Everything in there was black including the floor and ceiling-identical, unmarked, handle-less black doors were set at intervals all around the black walls, interspersed with branches of candles whose flames burned blue, their cool, shimmering light reflected in the shining marble floor so that it looked as though there was dark water underfoot. (OotP)

As they started following Harry towards the door directly opposite the entrance, a loud rumbling shook the room around them. The candles shifted to the left, and Hermione grabbed his arm. "The wall is rotating!" She whispered, frightened that the smallest sound might alert their presence to whoever was waiting for them.

When the movement shuddered to a stop, they all looked around. "I think it was trying to stop us from knowing which door we came in from." Said Ginny in a hushed voice. Percy looked around and confirmed that she was right, he had lost his bearings in the move.

Nico strode warily towards a door on their left. "This one..something strange is on the other side of the door. I can hear things. Voices, maybe." Harry narrowed his eyes and pushed the door open to reveal an amphitheater type of room. Stone benches circled the perimeter of a sunken center holding an ancient stone archway. Percy was amazed it was still standing, as the cracks and crumbling pieces gave the impression that it could break apart any minute. Unsupported by any surrounding wall, the archway was hung with a tattered black curtain or veil which, despite the complete stillness of the cold surrounding air, was fluttering very slightly as though it had just been touched. (OotP)