Mother Knows Best

I made my way downstairs with my hair tied up, rubbing my eyes tiredly. I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings when I shuffled into the kitchen and began to pour myself a glass of orange juice.

"Morning, dad." I let out a lazy mumble, knowing he would already be downstairs by this time like he normally was.

Once I turned around, I nearly dropped my glass when I saw my dad and the woman who's been absent from my life for the last twelve years.

My dad stood up, along with the woman who's long dark brown hair was swift to the side. She wore black jeans and a plaid t-shirt. The only thing she was missing was a black leather jacket with a green snake on the back.

"What the hell?!" I yelled out inevitably, placing down my glass before I actually did drop it. "Dad, I told you to accept that I'm friends with the Serpents not bring mom back home!" I glared at the woman who was a mirror image of me. There was no question that she was my mother.

He played with his hands nervously, "You're upset, I know. But I've been thinking a lot about what you said, Birdie, and what better way than to start here? For the both of us. She is your mother after all." He glanced between me and her.

"You two have fun playing catch-up, I have school. I'm sure you have lots to talk about." I spoke distastefully with a roll of my eyes, walking past the two.

"Beatrice, wait.." Cora requested desperately. Her voice was heavenly, I couldn't deny, like a harp's strings being played at once.

I ignored her, however, running up the stairs and shutting my door behind me.

I paused, taking everything in. I couldn't believe that she was here. I almost felt bad for my behavior but I was overcome with anger.

I huffed with a shake of my head, walking over to my closet to pick out an outfit for school.

Two knocks were quietly heard from the outside of my door causing me to groan, "Go away!" I yelled, not wanting to speak with my father nor Cora.

"Look, I'm coming in, okay?" The woman spoke delicately which only caused me to roll my eyes once more.

I remembered what Fangs had said about her being manipulative. I would assume she wouldn't play tricks on me because I was her daughter but I had no idea what this woman was capable of.

She opened the door softly, standing in my doorway. I could see her from the corner of my eye though I continued to ignore her presence and search through my closet.

"I know you're still mad, Beatrice-"

"It's Bird." I corrected immediately and turned to her with my arms crossed, "And I think I have the right to be mad considering you chose a gang over your own family. Over me, your daughter. And I spent way too much of my life hating the wrong people when I should be hating you."

Once I finished I turned back to my closet without another word.

"I'm sorry, Bird." She emphasized my name making me scoff, "But we need to talk about this. I can't be apart from my daughter any longer." She stepped forward.

"You went twelve years, didn't you? I think you can go twelve more." I snapped towards her.

Her eyebrows furrowed before she took a few more steps closer, "I know you're angry and hurt but I am still your mother."

"The same one who abandoned me, right?" I raised my eyebrows watching her shoulders slump.

"We will continue this another time." She said finally before leaving my room.