CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

I emerged from a shaded alcove in a strapless floor-length red ball gown dress fit for a princess, layers of organza pearls and crystals weaved into an elegant updo, complementing the shoulder-length halo diamond earrings I received this morning, ...

I emerged from a shaded alcove in a strapless floor-length red ball gown dress fit for a princess, layers of organza pearls and crystals weaved into an elegant updo, complementing the shoulder-length halo diamond earrings I received this morning, a thoughtful gift from Liam by signed courier service.

Party guests drift through the grandeur jamboree wearing formal tuxedos and dazzling evening dresses, sipping expensive champagne, the four-course medieval-style banquet yet to commence.

Gilded wood girandoles embellish damask wallpaper, and scintillating chandeliers cast light from the ornate ceilings. From the majestic stage, the pianist soared the crescendo of piano keys, entertaining etiquette couples dancing with extraordinary grace.

I wandered between assembled conversationalists, the heels of my six-inch shoes clicking against the Emperador marble floor, chiffon train shadowing each thoughtful step. Grey-haired and suavely debonair, the sommelier stops to refill my champagne flute. I thanked him and headed to the long-stretched bar, joining personable male dominance, chortling and holding unlit cigars.

Placing my glittering clutch purse on the stonework countertop, forgoing the red-velvet upholstered stool, I stood with a graceful but enticing posture, seemingly woeful and unaccompanied. It's efficacious to lure unhappy, miserable married men. They see a young, companionless, depressed woman staring into her wine glass, and deem her an easy fornication target. Of course, a despondent, lonely woman like myself craves compliments and attention from a man—who loves his wife, but her unreciprocated adoration diminished as a result of numerous children and life's countless predicaments—but, consequently, attributed to their dishonourable unfaithfulness.

Care for another drink?

Would you like to dance?

Kiss me if I'm wrong, but dinosaurs still exist, right?

Your smile lit up the room, so I had to come over.

And my favourite.

My friends made a bet that I couldn't start a conversation with the most beautiful woman in the bar. Want to buy some drinks with their money?

I liked the last one. It worked a treat because, hey, I am here to screw you over, so get those drinks in, handsome.

While portraying Victoria, I heard every corny pick-up line and withstood shocking flattering and dramatic flirting techniques.

Most adulterous married men, although appreciating the sophistication of another woman, would trade a clandestine night of affairs for their wives affections. Realistically, it's a sad truth when you think about it. How two people can espouse and adore each other so much but fall apart as a consequence of financial issues, lack of dating and communication, family interceding and children prioritising. I mean, the last one is a sensitive matter as you should give precedence to your child, but I wish loveless couples would see that building a family isn't a life sentence. You can still raise and cherish children without neglecting each other and forgetting the reasons why you fell in love at the beginning.