~eighty-nine~

Chapter 89

I hurriedly push Tessa and Teagan in the double stroller along the path, taking my sick baby girl to the infirmary. After Tobias and Tyler left to go to the cafeteria for breakfast, I gave Tessa a bath while Teagan slept. Once my little one was clean, dry, and dressed for the day in a cute pink, gray, blue, and cream-colored floral long-sleeved shirt, blue leggings with little pink bows on the pant legs, and a matching bow headband, I put her in the new walker/jumper seat in the corner of our massive bathroom so I could give her sister a bath. Right now she pretty much just sits in it, touching all the toys that are attached to it in front of her but when she gets older she can first use it to strengthen her legs by jumping up and down and then use it to learn how to walk.

After I undressed Peanut and put her in the plastic tub, I knew I had made a terrible mistake. I thought a bath would be soothing and maybe even help bring her fever down but all it did was cause her to cry loudly and shiver almost uncontrollably. I quickly ran through her bath routine then dressed her in a new blue sweater with a large red heart adorning the front and red leggings covered in tiny white hearts that I bought as a winter outfit. It's a little big on her but at least it's warm. I took her temperature, and it was higher than it was a couple hours earlier so I made the decision that she was going to the doctor to see if anything had changed since yesterday.

When I had both kids ready to go, I called Tobias and left him a message that I was heading to the infirmary and to please meet me. I may be overreacting but I can't stand that she's sick and there's nothing I can do to make her feel better. When I enter the infirmary waiting area it's deserted as usual. The unfamiliar looking nurse behind the intake desk could hear us coming because Peanut is screaming at the top of her lungs. I park the stroller in front of the desk and pick her up, doing everything in my power to comfort her.

"I need to see Dr. Parrish," I say.

"Boy she has a set of lungs on her," she says. Although I can't argue with that statement, it irritates me. Something's wrong with my baby and this idiot is making jokes. "I'm afraid Dr. Parrish is not to be disturbed. One of the PAs will be with you shortly. Please sit down over there. I'll call you when it's time." She points toward the rows of empty seats along the wall. You've got to be kidding me!

"If you think I'm going to sit over there and wait on some inexperienced PA while my one month old is screaming her head off, you've got another thing coming," I read her nametag, "Sandy." About that that time Tessa starts crying, which brings frustrated tears to my eyes. I'll admit it, I'm overwhelmed at the moment.

"I'm sorry but rules are rules," she snidely remarks. "Have a seat." I narrow my eyes at her and contemplate shoving my fist into her crooked nose. It probably would do her a favor by straightening it but instead I grip the stroller handle tightly with one hand and Peanut with the other and walk toward the double set of doors. If she won't take me to Zander, I'll find him myself. I'm halfway through when she grabs ahold of the stroller and yanks it toward her.

"You can't go back there," she says. Alright! This is war!

"If you don't let go of my stroller, you are the one who is going to need a hospital bed. You're scaring my daughter," I calmly say, venom dripping from my voice. Tessa's wailing louder than I've ever heard her and Peanut's nearly just as noisy. "You obviously don't know who I am. I'm a leader of this faction and a very good friend of Zander's. You will let me through or you'll regret it."

"If you think I believe for a second that a little spoiled rotten girl who's probably never been told no a day in her life could be a leader of a faction, you've got another thing coming," she says. "Now get back in the waiting room and sit your ass down."