Chapter 11: Trials With a Missing Devil

Start from the beginning

"This may take a while," Elvan said quietly, watching with admiration as Jack and Trisha fended off the warriors gracefully. Their tactics and speed were excellent, even I was impressed.

"As it should, our wolves should have high stamina considering we are the most powerful pack on the globe," I said with confidence as Elvan nodded in agreement.

After about an hour of growls, whimpers, and snarls, the first warrior went down. He tried to get back up but his legs would no longer support his weight, forcing him to bow in submission to Jack who continued to fend off the other two warriors. Once down, the warrior knew he had officially lost.

After two more hours went by, all the warriors were down but one. It was down to who was more stubborn, Trisha or the warrior? Jack, feeling prideful as he puffed out his chest and trotted over to sit beside Elvan, started watching the end of Trisha's fight with the rest of us. The warrior's legs were trembling from fatigue, I had a feeling Trisha would win any minute now. She was working him well, using techniques to save her energy but expending his quickly. Biting where he would bleed plenty to become weak but nothing vital.

After several minutes of suspense, the warrior finally collapsed onto the ground, struggling to get up, only to collapse again. Only then, he bowed to submission. Trisha's fur stood on end as she moved over to us panting. Only when she sat by me did her fur slowly start to lay back down on her back.

"The first test has been passed," I said clearly, my throat feeling dry from hours of silence. A clap of hands and cheers welcomed them. Both Jack and Trisha held expressions of pride. I raised my hand to quiet the pack down, and they did so instantly.

"Now, the final test," I paused, "we will have large groups set up for two different hunts, bring back a dead moose with everyone in one peace or you are disqualified," I stated.

"Chosen groups come forward," Elvan demanded, he had helped me choose specific individuals for these groups. Some not so easy to work with when it came down to teamwork, others were inexperienced. This was no easy test of leadership.

"You must return by sundown for the ceremony," I announced once two groups were formed in front of us. "Please begin,' I gestured towards the forest. The groups shifted into their wolves and followed jack and Trisha into the woods.

"Everyone else is dismissed until the ceremony," my voice boomed over the crowd, making them disburse quickly.

---

Dinner was set out on long tables gathered by pack members in one of the bigger rooms in the palace. It was big enough to fit all the members comfortably. Champagne glasses were set out while servers filled them up. Candlelight glistening off the bubbles within the golden liquid. Everyone was mingling with one another, a time of relaxation and peace.

"Did we do good, Luna?" Jack asked, his eyes glowing with accomplishment.

"Yes, you both exceeded my expectations," I smiled warmly at him and Trisha.

"It has been a long time since we ate Moose," Trisha said, trying to hide the excitement in her voice but failing. She loved Moose, ever since I met her, but it was rare that we hunted them down.

"Yes it has, we will have some pretty good food tomorrow too for the gathering, packs are already traveling this way," I said with a warm smile.

"Do you think Troy will be there tomorrow?" Trisha asked. I had filled her in on the details when she wasn't busy setting up the palace in preparation for the gathering.

"I have a haunch," I said quietly, "everything about tomorrow will have me on edge, watch out for anything suspicious, our doors will be open to many enemies," I stated.

"We will, Luna," Trisha said reassuringly.

"You two ready?" I asked, inhaling deeply.

"Yes, Luna," Jack said as Trisha nodded curtly. I walked into the front center of all the tables with Trisha on one side and Jack on the other. I stepped forward, tapping my champagne glass with a spoon, everyone quickly quieted down and gave me their attention.

"I would like to complete the ceremony before we begin to eat," my voice loud and assertive. Elvan was with Celeste, one of our pack doctors and a highly respected member. They were prepping a bowl of Moose blood and Angelica herb.

"Firstly, does anyone object for Jack to be the chosen Beta?" I asked. No one objected, good. "Does anyone object Trisha for the chosen Selsa, my third?" Again, no one said anything. After a minute of silence, I continued. "Jack please step forward and kneel," I requested. Jack immediately stepped forward and kneeled as Celeste walked up to him, facing him while holding the bowl of blood. Her hazel eyes observing him intently.

"Do you, Jack, take the position of being the Beta of the Solstice pack?" she asked him, her voice assertive.

"I do," Jack replied.

"Do you, Jack, swear to our ancestors, that you will protect our pack no matter what? That you will protect our Alpha and Luna no matter what?" She asked.

"I swear to our ancestors, that I will protect our pack and Luna and Alpha, no matter what," he said with pride.

"Drink this," she handed the bowl to him, as he took it his skin contrasted hers. She had dark skin that made Jack's look like snow in this lighting. The candles around the room reflecting the golden glow off the marble walls and floor. The lights were off, only candlelight was used. Jack, took a big gulp of the blood, grimacing as he swallowed and held the bowl back to Celeste.

"May you always be connected and grounded to our ancestors, may you serve them," I announced. "Trisha, please step forward and kneel," I requested, she did as I said but looked slightly nervous.

"Do you, Trisha, take the position of being the Selsa of the Solstice pack?" Celeste immediately turned to face her.

"I do," Trisha replied quickly.

"Do you, Trisha, swear to our ancestors, that you will protect our pack no matter what? That you will protect our Alpha and Luna no matter what?" Celeste repeated the words of the ceremony.

"I swear," Trisha said with pride as Celeste handed her the bowl. She gulped in nervousness as she looked at the blood. Blood wasn't exactly something we enjoyed drinking, we weren't vampires. Trisha took the bowl and took a sip of the blood and handed it back to Celeste, but Celeste pushed it back to her.

"More," she demanded. Trisha took a much larger sip this time, and Celeste nodded in approval, taking the bowl away.

"May you always be connected and grounded to our ancestors, may you serve them," I announced.

"Jack, Trisha, you may stand," I said as they both got up onto their feet. "Here stands in front of you, the Solstice pack, your Beta Jack Izle, and your Selsa Trisha Burgs," I gestured towards them. Each member of the pack bowed down, in respect and submission to their new Beta and Selsa.

"You may eat," I announced after a few minutes. Everyone got up and began chattering again while digging into their food and finding seats.

"Luna Zara," a small, slender, man walked up to me cautiously.

"Yes, Fabian?" I asked, realizing it was our messenger.

"The Crescent Moon Pack has arrived early..." he trailed off, his dark eyes wondering. My heart rate picked up, I was not ready to deal with this until tomorrow. Facing my fathers killer was never something I saw in my future before.  Why are they early?

Audience:

What do you think so far?

Will she be able to keep her cool with the Crescent Moon Packs Alpha?

Hope everyone is enjoying the book so far, thank you for reading! (:

xoxo