false alarm

♡mara♡
age fourteen

2010

It was always early on in the morning before the sun even rose that Mara would be awake. The girl just couldn't find it in herself to be tired, not like how she used to be. With her arm cuffed to the metal frame of her bed, her position was straight with only her arm at a slightly uncomfortable angle. She had been taught how to escape the cuffs, but she didn't need a warning to know she was never to use the trick unless being told she was allowed to.

She was in the middle of entering one of the other girls dreams when the large door opened quietly, but unsurprisingly woke every person in the room. They had been taught to hear the lightest of sounds, an oiled door was no exception. All eyes were focused on Miss Sokolov as she entered the room, but there was no answer to the unspoken question. What was she doing here so early?

No one got their answer as Miss Sokolov took a seat in one of the chairs along the wall, barely glancing at any of her students. That was everyone's sign to go back to sleep or else there would be consequences. It was none of their business what she was doing.

It wasn't long before almost everyone became oblivious to the world around them, most in a state of darkness while others dreamed. Mara did not sleep though, she stared at the ceiling trying to find anything different about it. There was nothing different, it was the same spot of the same ceiling she had been staring at for years.

The fourteen year old didn't need to read her mentors mind to know that she was the one the woman was here for. She pondered if it had something to do with her father, perhaps they finally decided to have the funeral without the body. Mara did not see any point of waiting for a body, there would be no one to visit it. She would not, and they had no family to do so either. There was Rhodes and Happy of course, and maybe even Obidiah. But how long would they visit until they stopped believing the lie that Tony was a good man that was worth missing? Pepper didn't have a reason to visit, the man was her boss.

That's how it would be when it came to Maras death. She was almost positive she wouldn't even get a funeral, let alone a proper burial. She would die on a mission someday, leaving the people who are in charge of her to make sure her body is never found. With no body, there were no questions. No one to care enough to ask questions, at least.

It was only moments before her hand was being unlocked from her bed frame and she was walking out of the room. There was no exchange of words between the two as they made their way toward the front door, which Mara knew meant she was leaving. A couple of suitcases awaited her by the exit, adding more to her theory.

"Your father was found alive only a few hours ago, you are to go home for now until he decides to send you back," Miss Sokolov was very vague about what happened, but it was still enough. Mara couldn't help but feel disappointed that the man was still alive, something she had almost been praying for not to happen the past few months. She would have preferred the words that she was attending his funeral, not his return.

No one was here to pick her up this time, just a driver to accompany her. It was the same with the jet, she sat alone with only a few staff that sometimes filtered into the main part of the private vehicle. She did not get why she got the jet to herself when she could have just been put on a regular plane. Mara was not famous like Tony, and she was not his assistant. She was not in the loop.

It was a couple hours into the afternoon once the jet landed, giving her the last few moments of alone time she would get in the next few days. But that was even if her father kept her around for a few days, she gave it maybe two. Mara hoped that it would only be for the night, but she doubted it. There would be so many public events she would have to attend.