careful

♡mara♡
age nine

2005

When the van came to a stop it was a few moments before the doors opened. Mara wasn't surprised to see it was no longer light out, considering the ride felt like it lasted for hours. For the Mara, the day felt like it may never end and all she wished for was to be able to sleep. It would have been nice to be able to sleep before being brought here, but she wasn't going to voice her complaints.

Outside it was cold, but Mara no longer minded the temperature. Instead she focused on the grimy building in front of her, it's deterioration making her think its abandoned.

Quickly the girls were ushered inside, the inside matching the outside. It was empty, making Mara question what they were doing there. Her question was answered when a cellar door was opened, stairs leading down to a place that light shone from.

It wasn't any cleaner underground, but there were people. Girls and boys around Maras age sat on benches, all looking scared. Maras group was ushered to sit with them, each girl having to squeeze in to fit.

Mara sat at the end of one of the benches, a boy sat next to her. He didn't seem as scared as the others, almost leading Mara to believe he was in a school similar to hers. She decided not to make conversation though, in case there would be punishment for speaking.

After a long while Mara was sure she would fall asleep sitting up, but her daze was cut short when a man walked in. A bad vibe came off of him and his creepy grin, and suddenly Mara knew she wouldn't be having any fun with him.

"Hello, children," He greeted them, eyes glancing at all of them. For a moment they landed on Mara, a glint reflecting in his eyes. "You're all apart of the mutant program, which means you all are very unlucky kids."

There was a time when Mara believed that there were such things as monsters, even believing it was a monster who had overtaken her mother the night she tried to kill Mara. When she first met her father she even believed he had a monster too, but now Mara had learned that they were just people. There were no monsters, just bad people. And Mara was almost pretty sure this guy was a bad person.

The man was right, though, they were unlucky. Mara had learned she has bad luck a long time ago, she didn't need some man to remind her.

The doors at the end of the room opened, and one by one the children were brought in. Screams filtered into the room, haunting screams. Mara examined the dimly lit room she was brought into, noticing the many other people there. Some seemed to have already mutated, their appearances looking anything but normal.

Mara wondered if her mutation would effect how she looks, especially since it would be a forced mutation. If her appearance changed would she be useless? Would Miss Sokolov no longer want her and send her back to her father, another person who also didn't want her?

She forced herself not to think about it, she tried to focus on what was going on in the moment. As she followed the line of children, she noticed the others watching them. There were no other kids besides them, the other people all being adults. Some of them were strapped to table, others chained to the walls. There were even bodies lying motionless on the floor.

There was another set of doors they were being led to, the closer they got to it, the louder the screams became. Mara knew that was where she would be going, an inkling of fear settling in her stomach. She shouldn't be scared, she told herself. This was her life now, this had been her life for a while now.

Mara jumped lightly when a hand rested her on her back, followed by a deep chuckle. Looking up, she saw the man who said she was unlucky looking down at her. The same glint was in his eyes, along with a grin on his face. With his other hand he traced the scar on Maras neck, then trailing up to the one on her lip.

"Me and you are going to have fun together, little one," He said, leading the girl into the room.

Everywhere people were being tortured, burned, drowned. Mara then knew that she was not going to be having fun.

"I was told not to leave a mark on you, so I guess I'll have to be careful," But the mans version of careful was not the same as Maras.