Chapter 4: Your Honour

Start from the beginning

Not bad for ten minutes.

Suddenly, the doorbell rings. I look at the clock. Eight-thirty AM. No way. 

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and opened the door to greet Ian. 

"Wow, you look ready as ever!" We entered the car and were on our way to the courthouse. Ian's eyes were fixed on his phone. "It's not that far from here. But in the time that we have, just breathe. This is going to go perfectly fine." 

He sounded so calm. Goals. Is he playing subway surfers?

Dear God. I looked out the window and just tried to meditate.

***************

In no time at all, we were pulling up to a very grand-looking building. Four, white humungous pillars held up the roof of the structure making it look very Greece-inspired.

Ian and I stepped out of the car overlooking that building. Why do I feel as if this is a big deal? I'm just here to declare that I wish to live alone like usual. Just in the eyes of the law this time. But I can't help but wonder what's going to be different this time. Probably nothing, honestly. The most I'll do is move somewhere else then I'll resume my homeschooling studies. 

Ian and I enter the building where we are greeted by security guards who scan us and our belongings. Once we passed, we proceeded to the front desk. 

Ian explained what we were here for and the young, blonde lady who was accomodating us jumped up from her seat and held her hand out to mine. "Welcome, Miss Delavine. It's a pleasure to be able to accomodate you and your lawyer today." I shook her hand. "Right this way, please."

Ian leaned in to me and whispered. "I learned that your step-father actually funded a major repair project for this place a couple of months ago which is probably why everyone will be so nice to you."

I nodded my head slowly and pursed my lips. That's reassuring, I guess?

We entered a spacious room that predominantly consisted of wooden furniture. We were ushered to sit at a table right in front of where I assumed the judge would sit. I then saw two security guards stand on either side of the entrances then the judge walks in with a pile of papers in his hands. Ian and I stood up immediately.

"Please, please, take your seats. This shall be no more than the ordinary formal proceedings." He smiled.

The judge was a tall and skinny old man who's glasses sat under his droopy eyes.

I took one, very deep breath - one for the road.

"I am most pleased to meet you, Alexandria Delavine, and your lawyer, Ian Benson. My name is Cornelius. It has come to my immediate attention that you are petitioning for emancipation from your current legal guardian, your grandmother who currently resides in Colorado. Is that correct?"

"Yes." I was shaking and I didn't know why. I loathed talking to strangers; especially when I have to.

"You have never actually lived with your grandmother. Is that correct?"

"Yes."

"Have you ever made any actual and direct contact with her? You know, like a normal granddaughter-grandmother relationship."

"I have only met her once just last year and she is a nice woman but I did get the idea that she enjoyed her own company very much. I'm honestly not even sure if she was aware that she was made my automatic legal guardian."

The judge's chin rested on his hand and he listened very attentively to me. "Could you please describe your grandmother to me in detail?"

"Well, she's been widowed for a few decades now. She lives in a little house in a very quiet neighbourhood. She enjoys playing bingo almost every single night. When I visited her, she owned four cats that were free to do whatever they wanted. She also visited her friends during the day on a daily basis. As you can see, she's barely ever home." 

"Yes, that is very understandable." The judge began to write something down. 

I looked to Ian who shot me a big smile. He whispered to me, "You're doing extremely well. Just chill."

I pursed my lips.

"Please also explain to me in detail, why you would prefer to live independently, asides from your recent spike in financial grants and your grandmother who just seemingly prefers to not be one with her own home." 

"I feel as if my whole life has been quite lonely and it's something that I'm very used to. I've never really been under anyone's care. I've always just stuck to my routine of being homeschooled among other home-life hobbies. If I went out, my parents always preferred I have a driver with me but other than that, I just wander off to places on my own." I swallowed. "Um, in conclusion, like my grandmother, I too find my own company enough and it's not just that. I wholeheartedly feel I can really look after myself now - this time, in the eyes of the law."

I did that.

The judge nodded his head and continued to write. "So while your parents would be out there making headlines all over the world, you always preferred to stay out of such a limelight?"

"Absolutely."

"I see, I see. Now if you would just give me a minute..."

I whispered to Ian, "I didn't know I was supposed to do all the talking!"

"You're doing amazing!"

"Mr. Benson?"

"Yes, your Honour?"

"Do you support all that Miss, Delavine has said during her court hearing today?"

"Yes, your honour. I strongly believe that emancipation is in her best interests. If this legal process proves to be successful for her, I will have the pleasure of being entrusted to all further legal bearings such as looking after her finances and helping her find a new dwelling. Putting aside all legal seriousness, I will also provide moral support for her. Her mother was a great friend of mine."

I sighed.

"Miss Delavine, could you please stand beside your lawyer?"

"Uh, yes, your Honour."

I stood up and my knees were shaking like crazy. I wanted to faint. *Tsk* I totally forgot I had breakfast in my bag. 

Oh God. What's going to happen next? I was sweating all over the place.

"Miss Alexandria Marie-Anne Delavine-Johnson..." Ugh not that last part please. "...I hereby certify that you are now legally emancipated and are granted the full responsibility of your own wellbeing."

My heart stopped. That was it? Oh my. 

I cupped my mouth and released a very inner deep breath that felt like I had been holding it in since I woke up.

That was probably still the scariest thing I've ever gone through but nonetheless, it was successful in the end. 

"Thank you, your Honour." Ian had a huge smile on his face. He then turned to me and shook my hand.

"Yes, thank you."

"My pleasure." The judge exited the room and we followed. We went to the front desk and Ian collected all the necessary files that have now just been made legal.

I didn't know why but, somehow I felt... free? But why just now? Hasn't it always been this way. There's just too many things I can't quite put my finger on. So many things to still figure out.

Ian and I stood on the top step of the building. We both breathed in the fresh air and fresh scent of success. I closed my eyes. I smiled to myself the first genuine smile in a very long time. 

Ian turned to me. "Time to rent out a certain mansion."

I tilted my head. "And where exactly will I go?" Despite knowing that I could not stay in that house. I just couldn't.