~ 10

Carnell Black
12:47 pm
Decatur Apartments
_________

I've been up since about 8 doing repairs in rooms and all morning all I've heard is Shanice arguing on the phone. I couldn't make out what she was saying or who she was talking to but it seemed like to me it was her boyfriend.

I shook it off and continued to do my work. No need to get involved in something that doesn't involve me, right?

I went to my next person's apartment and knocked on the door. They opened it and let me come in after realizing who I was. Ms. Olivia was something else with her smart mouth.

"Bout time you got here to fix my pipes and overflowing toilet. Now that you're here for that, my hot water heater just went out this morning." She told me, nagging about everything she could. I really just think she wanted some company.

"I'll take a look at it after I'm done in the bathroom, Ms. Liv."

"I know you will." She smarted.

I exhaled and went into her bathroom to get to work.

It took about a hour to fix the pipes and her toilet and I was just about to get to check the water heater.

"Carnell.." Shanice said as she came in Ms. Olivia's living room.

"Damn.. it's be nice if you knock before you enter. Who taught you manners?" Ms. Olivia mugged.

Shanice rolled her eyes.

"Keep on and I'll make sure they stay at the back of your head, heifer!"

"Carnell, I need to see you in my office."

"Can it wait? I'm working.."

"And he needs to get finished, today. I need my hot water."

"No, it can't wait.. it's serious." She looked like she needed a attitude adjustment but I knew it could wait til later.

"That can wait." I told her.

"It's not about that Carnell. Just come to my office!" She stormed out while slamming the door.

"Why's she so uptight? I'll fix her little attitude problem." Ms. Olivia said to herself. "Hurry back, boy."

"I will." I said while exiting.

Once I made it to Shanice's office, I noticed her face was still mad. "You got me here so you should fix your face."

"Carnell if this was for us to fuck, I would've already been naked. It's not about that. It's about your job." She sighed.

"My job?"

"Yes! Your job... and mine too. I just got a call that they're shutting this place down. The whole apartment complex."

"Why?" I was confused.

"This place is old as you can see and doesn't met the requirements to stay open. They're closing it and I'm pissed." She stressed. That's why she was angry.

I couldn't believe it. It was short notice and now I have nowhere to live. I was hurt.

"What am I supposed to do?"

"You can come and stay with me if you like."

I just stared at her.

"I just got to get the courage to tell all of these people that they have to move out."

I exhaled hard and took off my gloves. "Well, that's life. Good luck with everything."

Shanice had me fucked up if she thought I was about to live with her. Her boyfriend has a key to her place and I heard he was a big motherfucker. I walked out of her office and headed to my room to pack up what little shit I had. After I finished, I begin to leave but I was stopped by freckle face and his little friend who were headed back to their spot.