Chapter 14

[Silvian]

I had grown up alongside Luna and Celeste.

They had been my playmates, classmates and comrades. We had fought enemies together, watched our friends fall during battle.

Our young selves had made plans to run away together, back when pleasing our parents wasn't at the forefront of our minds. When life was far simpler and we were allowed to be naive.

And then I agreed married Celeste.

Suddenly years of friendship meant nothing. We were to be partners for life in a way that I hadn't imagined. In a way that I couldn't have imagined.

Celeste had always been like a sister to me. It felt wrong to see her in any other way.

I wasn't attracted to her.

"So why did you agree?" Luna had asked me one night in a tavern. It was an ugly, worn down building in the middle of nowhere - surrounded by the forest and housing unpleasant guests.

Men were constantly brawling with each other, swords or daggers drawn to kill, only to be picked up by the napes of their necks by the troll who owned the tavern.

We had picked this place because no one here would know us. They were all outcasts - soldiers wounded in battle, runaway slaves and prostitutes. Here, it would be safe to discuss anything regarding my betrothal to Celeste.

"My father asked me to," I hissed in distaste, setting the watered-down ale back on the bar and watching it slosh over the sides from the force. Good riddance - it tasted like piss. "I couldn't say no, not if I ever wanted to look him in the eye again."

"You don't look him in the eye anyway." Luna pointed out, reaching forward to grab my drink but instead grabbing the discarded helmet of a soldier sitting next to us.

He looked over, taken aback by the young girl attempting to take a sip from his helmet, then shook his head and turned back, deciding he didn't really mind that much.

Luna noticed a few seconds later that what she was holding wasn't her drink, and set it back in its rightful place with a blush.

I laughed when she struck my arm, so hard that it went numb.

"Idiot. Anyway, you can't marry Celeste. I won't let you." I quirked a brow at that.

"You won't?" I asked her, and she gave a determined nod.

"Of course not. She's my younger sister, I can't let her be deflowered by a man who doesn't love her." I gave a chuckle at that, and she turned to face me with a puzzled look somehow showing through her blindfold. "What?"

"It's just..." I reached up to wipe away the tears of amusement forming in my eyes. "She's 78 years old, and you think she's a virgin?" Luna's mouth hung open and her cheeks stained red. The soldier sat next to us also seemed to be smirking at our conversation.

"You... what?!" She shouted, almost hysterical. I laughed at the evident shock on her face, realising that she hadn't even considered that her sister would sleep with someone before her wedding day. "With who?" Her voice was lower this time, and she leaned in closer to me.

Well, she thought it was me. It was actually that handsome soldier sat to the right of us. He smiled down at her as she basically rested her face on his chest, then drew back quickly.

I decided to get a good look at him. He was well built, about as tall and muscular and me. He was still clad in his uniform, meaning he must have been on patrol in the area.