Chapter 18 🎁

Merry Christmas 🎁
[Soleil]

"Silvian,"  I whispered, gently shaking the snoozing vampire's arm to wake him.  He opened his eyes for a second, then scrunched them shut and rolled over onto his other side.  "Silvian!"  I sang softly, leaning in close to his ear with the laugh.

He let out a loud groan and placed a chaste kiss on the space behind his ear. 

"What?" The vampire finally whined, rolling over to look up at me with tired silver eyes.  They pleaded for a few extra minutes of sleep.

"It's Christmas!" I whisper-sang, feeling my body bubble up with excitement. I had never spent a Christmas in the company of people who cared about me, given that the holiday had come about many years after my family and people were lost. Now I had a chance to spend it with Silvian, and I wanted to try everything.

Which meant he had to get out of bed.

"Don't you mean Yule?" He muttered under his breath, then brought his arms around my waist to pull me into the bed with him.

"Don't ruin it!" I snapped, slapping his arm playfully when they moved further down than they should. He hummed, then finally seemed to notice what I was wearing.

"Is that...  the suit from the summer solstice?"  Silvian asked with a quirked brow, his voice still deep and thick from sleep.  I nodded, blushing slightly as I ran my hands over the silky purple fabric.

"Don't you like it?"  My voice came out quieter than I had meant it to, and I looked down at the right material self consciously.  "I thought that—because it's just..."

"I like it."  He declared, springing up from the bed and giving me a quick hug, then walking over to his wardrobe.  "You look beautiful.  Now I suppose I should put an effort in, as well."  Silvian sighed dramatically, swinging the oak doors open and sorting through his collections of suits.

I eyed the materials in awe, studying the collection of colourful silks and satins and corduroys.  He pulled out a light grey suit, and I turned my nose up at it.

"You're not going to wear something...  brighter?"  I asked, feeling my voice trail off as I watched him change out of his nightclothes.  As if he had noticed my eyes on him, his actions slowed slightly, letting the material slip off of his body and drop onto the floor near his feet.  "Don't be such a tease."  I scolded him, and he turned around to flash me a quick grin - his white fangs glinting in the firelight.

"I thought we were matching to our eyes.  Yours are purple, mine are grey."  He noted, gesturing between us in exaggeration and I scoffed.

"Your eyes are silver.  Sil-ver!  Not grey."  Silvian laughed at me as I grumbled at him, then walked over to me once he was dressed.  He turned in front of me a few times, then smirked.

"But I look good anyway, don't I?"

"Shut up and come downstairs!"

•••

"It's odd having no staff in during the holidays," Silvian remarked as we both laid across the settee, my back to his chest. The fire had been lit and a fir tree sat proudly in the corner of the room, adorned with red paper roses, bells and ribbons. Underneath sat a lone box, wrapped in a red cloth I had found in the storage shed. "Usually Celeste would be throwing a ball at this time."

I hummed in agreement. The female vampire went to extreme lengths to make any holiday as memorable as possible, much to the dismay of her staff. Having a smaller celebration seemed to suit Silvian much better, I noted as I watched him relax further into the settee and lay an arm around my waist.