CHAPTER 18: THE TORN PUNCHING BAG

Start from the beginning

I remained silent since I don’t want to say something that may or may not be the best advise so I started to stroke circles on his back. The tense in his body loosened and I was thankful that somehow my actions worked.

“He loves my mother so much that I never thought he would actually turn into a monster. Mom’s condition worsened and so his. Everytime I get back from school when I was 13, he’s holding a bottle of vodka. At first he just yells at me when he’s drunk but later on he started beating me up. I thought it was a good release of his anger if he beats me but in the end he just scarred me for life. He engaged himself into drug trafficking so we can sustain mom’s treatment. He loves mom so much. I know that. He just chose the worst way to deal with the problem. I didn’t have a doubt that he’s using drugs too. As each day passed, I just turned into a torn punching bag.” He explained, almost whispering. His revelation made my heart ache. I pulled away from the hug and stared at him in his eyes.

I can feel his pain, not that I experience what he had but based on his state right now, I have no doubt. I now understand where he gets his violent side. He’s scarred. I never thought that behind his playboy happy-go-lucky façade is a dark past that causes his anger issues.

“Is that the reason why you…uhm” I can’t bring the word out of my mouth. I don’t know how he’ll react. “You know, your anger issues,” I closed my eyes. I don’t want to see his reaction. When I opened my eyes, he’s staring at me and I know immediately the answer. Duh, it’s because you’re stating the obvious. I snapped out of my sarcastic and bitchy subconscious.

Brent’s face became calm and he held my hands. His touch makes the oompa loompas and unicorns in my stomach go crazy again. I thought that phase is done but here I am, still feeling them like what I felt during our first kiss. It just escalated now, one touch and I’m all goo.

“Sorry if I’m overwhelming you with my past,” Brent said. I shook my head and leaned closer so our foreheads are resting against each other.

“I said that I’m more than willing to understand you. And here I am, don’t I?” I smiled at him. He closed his eyes again and he breathed in and out loudly until he opened his eyes again. The dark blue shade that overpowered his eyes is now lighter, and sparkling. How does he manage being mercurial?

“Thank you,” he murmured then he lip locked with me again. I can do this all day if I want. My inner goddess said. Woah, i never thought that I have a kinky subconscious. I just want this moment to last forever.

A giggling sound cut off our moment. Sometimes I think that I’ll look forward to every make out session we’ll have in the future. At the far end of the living room where it meets the kitchen is Bri standing. She covers her eyes with her left hand but her fingers are parted; her eyes are showing. Her right hand covers her mouth trying to silent her giggle but she obviously failed. She’s just so adorable.

She giggles harder when I looked back to Brent and his eyes are wide and he flushed. He’s embarrassed. Ha! Brent turned to face Bri. He cocked his head to the side; making a line out of his pursed lips.

“You kissed her!” she pointed at me and she giggled again. I blushed at what she said but I can’t contain her cuteness so I also chuckled. “You look adorable,” she added. Aw, she doesn’t know her innocence makes her more adorable.

Bri went to Brent and she climbed into his lap. “Awwww, she’s so adorbs!” I cooed. Bri isn’t paying attention. She started tracing the letters on Brent’s Abercrombie shirt. Brent turned to face me and raised an eyebrow. He smiled with amusement and it doesn’t show that just a while ago he was almost breaking down.

“Adorbs? Is that even a word?” he smiled at me, amused.

“A-huh,” I nodded. “I’ll petition Merriam-Webster to put it in their dictionary.” I joked.