3

Colton had anger issues.

And a lot of it.

He was pretty hot-headed when it came to people that weren't his friends or family. If they were jerks or bitches, then he made it clear that he didn't appreciate it.

He had gotten detention sometimes, but he wasn't so crazy as to punch someone to death.

Not yet, anyway.

He just scared a lot of people, but a lot of people surprisingly respected him. He didn't hurt just anyone -- only the people that really tested his and other people's patience.

Colton was nice when he wanted to be or needed to be.

As he reached his locker, he raised an eyebrow.

Of course. Typical.

A couple making out, leaning against his locker was just what he wanted to see on a Monday morning. He sarcastically knocked the locker next to them, and they jumped apart.

"Can you—"

"We're so sorry, don't hit us, please!" the guy said, his eyes flashing with fear.

Before he could say anything, the dude grabbed his girlfriend's hand and ran off. Colton's eyebrow raised further and he stared after them with his mouth agape.

"Uh, okay?" he muttered. He wasn't gonna yell at them or anything—he was just going to tell them that they were leaning against his locker.

He let out a sigh as he opened his locker and shoved his bag in. It wasn't a secret that he was misunderstood.

Sure, he punched a lot of people but only if they were assholes and threatening to hurt him or other people.

And sure he got in a lot of trouble because of it, but he didn't randomly lash out at people. That wasn't him.

It was only because he was protective of the people he cared for.

***

"Colton, go long!"

He shuffled backwards, eyes narrowed at the football soaring towards him in the sky. With a leap to the side, he grabbed the ball, securing it within his hands with a solid thump.

The rush of adrenaline that shot through his body sent chills down his spine and he let out a roaring laugh of disbelief.

Sammy, his friend who had chucked the ball, guffawed from the other end of the near-empty field.

"Damn dude, that was sick!"

Colton couldn't it believe it himself. To deal with his 'issues', his parents had made him sign up for football.

It was also an excuse for his Pa who was once the best football player there was at the same school he went to.

Colton, on the other hand, was different.

He had once hated football but because he managed to do well in it, he had come to tolerate it.

To most people's surprise, he'd rather read a book and write one himself any day than do sports. This was yet another thing that people that knew him misunderstood about him.

Just because he was semi-violent and ill-tempered when he wanted to be, they all expected him to like violent things like throwing shit around.

He wasn't that type of person.

He was calm and peaceful most of the time and reading, even writing, brought out the best in him.

But, because his father was a reigning football champion back in his days, he was always pressured to do the same thing.