Chapter {16}

In an instant Alby's bloodshot eyes displayed panic, his voice loud and clear that I never heard it be like, as it cracked between such a painful few sentences that he repeated over and over again. Tightly his vein covered hand gripped Thomas's shirt, coiled around the blue fabric like it would never let go. Pure panic welled in Thomas that I noticed by his desperate movement of struggle as he wanted to set himself free of iron grasp that held him down. Alby kicked and wailed in fear, subconciously pushing Newt away after he had unsuccessfully tried to do anything so he'd help the sick boy.

As tight as I could I gripped Alby's hand that held Thomas's shirt, trying to pry it from his inhumanly strong hold as Thomas still struggled. I felt somebody has pushed me away, as I stumbled due to still noticable pain in my leg.

"Get the syringe." I heard Thomas shout urgently, and seconds later Alby's strong grip has released Thomas, just before the erratic movement of leaders chest eased and eyes fell closed again. Raggedly, Alby's breath left his mouth, yet calm in comparison to scared that it was a few moments ago.

As last few ounces of panic has faded, left my being I drew my head up just to meet the faces of other few people standing in half circle next to leader's bed. Thomas breathed heavily, every breath moving his chest up and down in uneven movement while from Newt's face I couldn't depict any other emotion but care. Next to him Teresa still held a small vial that previously had transparent blue liquid in, but was now empty while she let out a puff of breath in relief.

"Okay, from now on, somebody watches his around the clock." Newt commented.

We all nodded solemnly, gazing at our leader that in now obviously less painful sleep lay on brown cover that made of net-like structures, accompanied all run-down wooden planks of inside the room had consisted of and a few counter whose doors swung aimlessly with every movement when somebody walked by them.

Then, doors of the room suddenly scraped open as after the sound Gally's eyes met mine with coldness so deep and profound it made me shiver on pure warm air. He stepped inside, letting his gaze wander each and every person before speaking with partial disgust lacing his voice. "Aria, your punishment." He stated matter-of-factly, drawing his arms over his chest as a feeling of authority radiated from the posture he had.

"Wait, where are you taking her?" Teresa had no fear while facing the obviously taller, and more intimidating boy whose brows have stitched together in such obvious cynical expression he didn't even need the half snarl that his lips drew back in.

"She has a punishment to serve, you don't perhaps want one too." Gally laughed cynically, mocking Teresa's attempt of finding out what has happened during long two weeks I've spent here. Her shoulders slumped over as she defeatedly looked at the ground. Raven hair that made her eyes stuck out covered part of pale complexion as they twinkled with suresnes while our gazes met in brief seconds while I passed by her as Gally led me away.

Slowly, the sky above turned darker in every shade and with what seemed almost every move we made further away. A few dancing fires were lit up, torches that provided them stuck into the ground at far ends where I presumed other Gladers still worked. Wet with nighttime dew, the grass was faintly visible in all masses of dark mud, seemingly darker than the night itself.

Gally's hand tightly gripped my upper arm, considering the shortness of my figure to his towering one he had no other way to hold me without having to crouch down. He made enormous steps, while I struggled a bit despite my hight being rather usual but still I stood shorter than Gally who didn't even have the decency to slow down while he practically dragged me behind him. Not to mention my temporary limp didn't help.

"Why are you like this? What did I do to you?" I could hardly catch up with him, not only due to the limp that with almost every wrong move sent a small wave of new pain through my leg, but also his stubborn movement that he had no second thought on slowing down.