Chapter {9}

'This is why I'm here. I need to help and I will.' The sentances repeated like a river of endless words through my mind from the moment I woke up to now that I walked towards Thomas and Minho. Two boys stood a little away from Maze doors, discussing intently a subject I wasn't familiar with since I haven't heard what it was about. Thomas leaned closer to Minho, stopping his talking in tracks to whisper something. His interlocutor shook his head in disagreement, making Thomas run a hand through his hair. It was left sticking up on his head, messed in every direction but still somehow cute. Okay, what? Focus, Aria. I took in deep, focusing breath letting the thought off as I bit down on my lower lip. Deep concerned state my mind replaced the previous unfocused one which made me think over and over the possibilities and scenarios; what could go wrong, what could hurt me or other Runners, what could happen if I manage to land the job and fail. Death, swift and painless.

I shook my head, scaring off the morbid thoughts, as I forced myself to put on a smile. "Hi." When approached the boys, I greeted them cheerfully, making them stop in their tracks. Thomas's state instantly lit up, as he turned around to meet me with a smile.

"Morning, Aria. You ready for your job?" Thomas beamed, happily put his hands on the Runner backpack he had on.

"Yeah, but I'd like to talk to you, if you have time of course." Minho's face went cold on the thought of prolonging his job I mentioned. "I'll be quick." He smirked at my answer.

"Take your time." Minho teased after us loud enough to hear, seeing we've walked out of the earshot.

Thomas and I stopped, facing each other and stood still, as if we were both dazed by something. Finally he shook it off. "Okay, what did you want to talk about?" Thomas held his arms wrapped in front of himself, and on his chest, demeanor showing happiness what resulted in a smile spreading over his facial features. To all of that, I just couldn't help but to feel unsure of his reaction, even a little bit scared that he will blow me off and not try to listen to my suggestion. Tightly grinding my teeth together in concentration, I thought over every possible way of starting this conversation.

"I know you hang out a lot with Minho, so could you ask him if he would let me train for a Runner?" In an instant, after the words rolled of my tongue Thomas froze. Breath hitched in his throat, smile faded into a worried expression as he shifted his weight from one leg to another. In that moment just by the way he stared past me and avoided my gaze at any cost I knew he could never like my preposition. Dropping my head, but then lifting it back up I gingerly took a step forward, placing my hand on blue sleeve that covered his arm connected at his front, a certain amount of warmth spreading through my fingers after our touch.

"Can you promise me you will, even if he doesn't accept me?" I looked up at his eyes pleadingly, locking them with his soft brown ones.

"Okay. I promise." He breathed out heavily, as if he had trouble saying these words.

Lips curling into a smile, I jumped forward, wrapping my arms over his neck making him stumble and almost lose balance and topple over, regaining it after his strong arms wrapped over my back. We both swayed form left to right until Thomas firmly planted his feet in the ground, both of us holding each other. Then after minutes, he reluctantly pulled away from our comfortable embrace.

"I...uh, I have to go." He scratched the back of his neck, not knowing what to say or do as he tried to smile.

"Have fun." I smiled, waving a small, reluctant wave after he started retreating back to Minho, who was both annoyed with the delay and smirking. Just as Minho was about to run forward to most probably throw a few remarks Thomas stopped moving, cautiously turned around, eying the territory if I was still there and ran back once he found me standing on the same spot as moments ago. He stopped inches away from me, staring at my eyes asking for some kind of permission, only to close them and wrap his arms around me once again. Pulling away, Thomas didn't try to hide his grin as he ran back to Minho, following him toward the Maze doors just before waving at me from the distance.