Chapter Four - Covet

Start from the beginning

Kat frowned at him.

"And I could have taken the wolf in the pit, if you hadn't interfered."

Cal opened his mouth to argue with her but a shrill voice drowned him out.

"You interfered?" Tia screeched, "You interfered in a pit match to save her?!"

Tia was shaking, naked and beautiful and angry. Tate had not offered her a robe; he was silently seething at her attack on his Alpha.

"It's her then, is it? Your mate." Tia spat the words. Katja looked up at Cal in shock.

She had been so caught up in the argument she hadn't understood the words.

Her heart hammered in her chest as Cal looked down at her, amusement dancing in his emerald eyes.

"Yes, it's her. It's definitely her." Cal's voice dropped, the silky sound calming years of pain and anguish that had twisted Kat's nerves.

I'm his mate? I'm really his mate! Her soul sang, reaching out as if to hold on to his.

"What does this mean?" Kat asked, trying to sound calm but failing terribly.

"It means you stay here." It was a statement. Cal looked at her, daring her to disagree.

How could she stay here? She hadn't stayed in one place longer than three months. Not for eight years. If she stayed, they'd all be in danger. What's more, she didn't know this man. What she had learned of him so far, was that he was vicious and terrifying. The rumour around the world was that he was inherently evil.

"And if I leave?"

"You die." Cal's eyes were wide. She could smell his horror, his fear of being rejected.

"You'll kill me?" Kat asked, her own shock apparent.

"No, your heart will kill you." Tia spat across the room, stalking up the stairs.

"Leave then, dirty rogue. But if you leave, know that the bond will kill you, and it will likely kill him, too." Tia spoke clearly, as though she relished the idea of their deaths.

She reached the top of the stairs and opened a huge oak door, disappearing behind it.

"What just happened?" Kat mumbled, eliciting a laugh from Tate.

"It's not funny, Tate. How do you know she's not your mate?" she asked Cal.

Cal looked at her, green eyes piercing her heart. She felt changed. Right down to her DNA, she was changed.

"She was a possibility, but you are my true mate. Can't you feel it?" Cal looked momentarily nervous. He stretched a hand out, moving to stroke Kat's cheek.

She shrank away from him.

"She doesn't like to be touched." Tate offered, helpfully. Cal growled, turning on his Beta.

"And how is it you know so much about my mate?!" His jealousy screamed for an outlet.

"I don't know, maybe because I took a moment to get to know her?" Tate remarked, not rising to the bait.

Katja almost laughed. Tate thinks he knows me? She buried a giggle in her chest.

"I haven't had a chance to get to know her!" Cal fired back, shaking now.

"You've had plenty of chances." Tate rolled his eyes before walking away. "Are you hungry, Kat? The kitchen is through here." 

Katja opened her mouth in response but was drowned out by an almighty growl that shook the building. Tate fell to his knees in horror.