Chapter Three - Colosseum

Start from the beginning

A howl announced the beginning of the fight and Kat glanced up to see that Cal had taken his seat and was talking angrily to Tate.

They'd waited for him to come and he wasn't even paying attention. Kat was angry.

Suddenly, she was on the floor. He had distracted her and the rogue that got her into this mess had tackled her.

Katja kicked her away easily, jumping up onto her feet ready for the next attack. The rogue ran at her, teeth bared, but still in human form.

That was fine with Kat, she had learned how to fight and kill in all forms.

A gasp went through the crowd as one of the other wolves had his head smashed to pieces against the wall. One down, six to go.

Katja grabbed the rogue by her shoulders, pulling her off balance. She yanked her forwards and lifted her knee to meet the she-wolf's nose. The loud crack left Katja feeling satisfied. The rogue stumbled backwards, clutching her face and leaning her head back, exposing her throat.

Kat lunged, partially shifting so that only her head became her wolf. She opened her jaw and clamped down on the rogue's neck, canines slicing through the flesh like butter. Kat pushed the rogue's body away from her, separating the flesh from the rest of her.

The rogue fell to the ground, instantly dead, and the crowd cheered.

Too easy, Katja thought. She spat on the floor, shifting her head back to its human form.

The crowd stamped their feet, but Katja didn't have a chance to see why, as she was lifted from behind by a brute of a man.

He stuck his face into her neck, inhaling deeply.

"Don't you smell mouth-watering?" the beast grunted, his tongue extending, getting closer to licking Kat's face.

She growled angrily, bending forward sharply and throwing the huge man over her.

He landed on his back, his face contorted in shock and pain. Kat didn't give him time to register as she kneeled either side of his head, grabbing his fat skull in her arms.

She twisted quickly, his spine snapping as she ripped his head from his body.

More cheers erupted. Three down, three to go.

Kat had barely broken a sweat. She turned to wait for her next opening, finding herself face-to-face with a tall, lithe man. He punched her square in the face and her head snapped back.

Damn, that'll bruise.

She countered with a kick to his stomach, winding him. He hit her again, across the face, dragging his nails into her cheek.

She cried out in pain. A growl that did not belong to her rumbled in the distance.

The man kicked her legs out from under her. She shifted her mouth, extending impossibly long canines as she bit through his thigh.

He yelped, falling backwards. She launched herself on top of him, finding his neck and biting down hard. Blood gurgled into his throat, drowning him.

The crowd screamed and cheered. Kat looked up to find that she was left with one more competitor, a wolf that had just crushed his opponents head with his bare hands.

Katja sprang to her feet as the man came towards her, shifting as he approached. He was a magnificent wolf, long auburn hair and huge teeth. Kat shifted into her wolf in the blink of an eye, her leather clothing falling to the blood soaked floor with a thud.

She saw the wolf falter in surprise as the crowd oohed and aahed.

The wolf shook it off and lunged at Kat, biting down hard on her front leg. She yelped, finding his shoulder and sinking her teeth into him.

He raked his claws across her stomach and she growled in pain, biting at his jaw.

He was on top of her now, she had no escape. She clawed helplessly at his eyes and throat.

He put one large paw on her chest, crushing her lungs as the other paw pushed her head back, exposing her throat.

The crowd screamed, probably excited to watch her murder.

Kat had a choice, she could show her true power or she could die.

The screaming didn't stop, it suddenly got louder, more frantic. The wolf on top of her looked up into the crowd, distracted. Kat saw an opening, but before she could take it, the wolf was hit by a massive flying object.

Kat sat up in shock, as Tate ran over to her holding out a robe. She shifted and threw the robe over herself, looking at Tate questioningly.

He was pale, sickly white, looking behind her.

She spun around on her heel and her eyes scanned the bloodbath.

A magnificent deep red wolf had torn her attacker to shreds. But the wolf wouldn't stop, it was crazed, possessed with fury. Katja felt its murderous anger crashing over her in waves, making her feel sick. The crowd had fallen to their knees in submission, bowing their heads to the mighty beast that radiated power.

It was the biggest wolf she'd ever seen, and though it's anger made her sick, it's power gave her strength.

Before she could stop herself, she marched over to the rampaging wolf.

Tate let out a strangled yell.

The wolf turned its head and looked at Katja, bright green eyes surrounded by blood red fur. His fur made his eyes shine all the more.

"Cal." Katja breathed, in awe of the beast, and the man.

The wolf twisted its head to the side, moving towards Kat.

It stopped just in front of her. Kat raised her chin, offering her throat as a sign of respect to a more powerful wolf.

The wolf leaned in, inhaling her scent. Kat closed her eyes as her heart fluttered.

"Katja." Cal's voice echoed in the silence.

She opened her eyes. Tate was pulling a robe over Cal's impressive shoulders. The Alpha looked extremely confused.

Kat couldn't work him out, she could smell his anger fading and his confusion growing. But something else, too. Something she couldn't place.

"We have our winner!" Tate shouted to the crowd and the hundreds of wolves howled in excitement.

"Am I free to leave now?" Kat asked, looking at Tate.

Cal turned to look at Tate, frowning.

"No, now you come with me." Cal stated, looking at her inquisitively.

------

------

A/N: HELLO! ME AGAIN!

Sooooo did you think this was intense? I feel this was intense.

I loooooved writing this chapter you guys! I ate so much cake and drank so much gingerbread latte just to keep it flowinggg!

Love&Light!

xxxxxxxxx