Chapter 33: A Miracle

Poppy watched her friend pace the bathroom, from wall to wall. Sophie was almost tearing her hair out with anticipation. The last two tests had come out negative, 'third time lucky' she had said, but nearly everyone had lost hope.

IVF was getting extremely expensive. Jack and Poppy had paid half each of this series. Lochie and Rachel had paid for the last lot and Mr Hughes had given Sophie and Eddie a pay rise so they could pay for the first lot. The last few months had been the worst of their lives. There had been more tears, sleepless nights and sadness than since Joel died. The boys had taken their minds off it all by rodeo riding, but the girls had been pacing the halls, hoping for a miracle.

Leo hadn't left yet. Much to Jack's and the boys disgust and even Poppy was losing interest. He would come home drunk and Poppy would end up on the basement of the homestead or the couch in Jack's cottage just to get away.

Drovers Paradise was beginning to become happier now. Christmas was soon, and the warmer weather brought water fights and dances under the sprinkler. June had helped the boys cut down a small pine tree, she'd helped them hang the fairy lights and even helped Jack pick out everyone's presents. Now, all everyone was hoping for was a Christmas miracle.

"Sophie, take a breath," Rachel ordered, firmly but kindly.

"What if it doesn't work Rach? What will I tell Ed?" Sophie asked.

"The truth," Poppy said, "Sophie you have so many more options."

"You don't understand, when one can not create a baby with the man she loves it's like a someone has punched through your rib cage, grabbed your heart and eaten it in front of you that someone is the devil by the way." Sophie informed.

The two girls were shocked at the gruesome analogy. They furrowed their eyebrows and subconsciously prayed for the ability to have children.

The timer buzzed, making the three of them jump. Poppy and Rachel's eyes met Sophie's as she grabbed the four tiny sticks that sat upon the counter. The three girls curled their lips in, crossed their fingers and waited for the shaking Sophie to turn them over.

"Here goes nothing." She let out a heavy breath.

A gasp echoed through the room.

•••

Jack, June and Eddie rode across the Rocky Mountain top, the horses slowly making their way towards the sky.

"Santa bring you anything Juney?" Ed questioned the little girl upon her horse. "Or have you been too naughty?"

"I haven't been naughty!" She exclaimed, "I got the beach barbie, the farmer barbie and three Thomas the Tank Engine trains, wooden ones too!"

Eddie chuckled, as did Jack; "well I can't wait to meet these characters!"

"I've already been introduced." Jack said. The three of them stood proud on top of the mountain, staring over the valleys and creeks below.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Eddie said absentmindedly. "My kids are going to fall in love with this place the same way I did! I'm so sure of it, it isn't funny."

"Well we fell in love with it pretty quickly, isn't that right June?"

She nodded vigourously.

A stick cracked behind them, Lochie appeared, Pocket galloping beneath him, "C'mon you lot! Lunch is ready!"

And down the mountain side they flew.

•••

Mr Hughes sat at the head of the table, a beaming smile spread across his face as he watched his family reach for food and pull Christmas crackers. He remembered the Christmas dinners spent in this same dining hall, both his son and daughter beside him. His wife would stroll through the door, a leg of lamb, roasted and seasoned in her hands. The pump rumbled down by the dam but the noise was overpowered by the laughter of the members of their family. Workers never stayed for Christmas when Joel, Eddie and Poppy were kids, most of them had families of their own.

But those men had gone now. Each one retired and rejoicing in the easy life. For the first time in a long time, Mr Hughes looked over the table and felt like his family was reunited. Like this is how life was always supposed to turn out.

He rose to his feet, raising his glass to the stars and said; "Lord above, I Thank you. For this, this scene of happiness is what Christmas is all about. This love and contentment that I feel as I watch over these people is what should be felt by all. We thank you for the food and the wine and the love you've given us this year. For the people we protect and those who protect us, we thank you. We thank you for the rain, for the wedding and the smiles and may next year be as good! Amen." He prayed, a smile spread across his cheeks.

"Wait, I've got one more thing," Sophie pushed her chair out quickly.

She turned to Eddie and simply placed his huge calloused hands against her stomach. He was confused for a moment then it clicked.

The stars aligned.

He fell out of his chair and onto his knees. He rested his head against her stomach and cried the happiest tears anyone had every seen. Eddie kissed Sophie's stomach as the room erupted with the joy of love and excitement.

"I've been waiting for you my bubba," he whispered, "now you're a reality and I couldn't be happier."

Sophie ran her fingers through his thick hair lovingly. Her eyes fixed on the man. Eddie smiled up at her, his eyes shining with delight.

She wiped the tears from his cheeks and kissed his lips.

"I love you." She said.

"Oh I love you more!" He replied, lifting her into his arms and kissing her again.

Poppy glanced at Jack, who had his arm around June. She longed in that moment with her whole heart, that that would be her one day.

And the man at her feet would be Jack.