Chapter 7: Not Today

Jack walked into the stables, June gripping tight to his hand. Regret and Marigold were waiting patiently, their holeters attached and reigns secured.

"Poppy!" Jack called, knowing that she'd have something to do with the readiness of the horses at 6:30 in the morning.

"Good morning!" She popped up from the hay trough in front of the horses heads.

"Mornin'. Righto June, show me how you get on." He set her free and she lifted her leg up and pushed her boot into the stirrup. She reached up, her little hands grabbing the leather saddle before hauling her leg over the horse, her teddy tucked in her overalls.

Jack smiled at her, pleased at how quickly she'd picked up the mounting side of horse riding.
"Good girl." He grinned.

June loved the horses. The smell, the presence and the beauty of the huge animals. Although Marigold was much bigger than her, June wasn't afraid of her. She watched in awe as her uncle swung his leg over Regret, he spoke calmly to the horse, just like he spoke to her, keeping the horse settled. Regret stamped his foot and Jack scolded him quietly.

Today was Jack's first working day. Mr Hughes had let him settle in, sleep a couple of nights in his new bed made of steel and to get June used to the whole idea of this crazy, new, exciting life.

Jack focused on the little girl, gathering up the reigns in her left hand and gripping her teddy in her right.

"Kiddo why don't we leave the teddy up at the cottage today, Poppy will take you up there won't you Pop?" Jack turned his head to the girl behind them.
Poppy smiled and nodded.

"Sure thing Jacko."

June gave Jack a look he'd never seen before. A look of disappointment, anger and almost confusion.

"I can't just leave him at home Uncle Jack." She told him firmly.

Jack pursed his lips together, unsure of what to even say. He didn't want to argue.

"Fine." He spat finally, "but he stays in your overalls."

June tucked the tattered Bear into the top of her overalls, the bear's head under her chin.

"Right, be good for Poppy, I'm never too far away, if you need me just give me a call." Jack smiled, before trotting out of the stables.

"I love you Uncle Jack!" June bellowed.

"I love you more June Alexandra!" He replied.

"Hey fella!" Eddie called from the gate.

"G'day Ed, where's Lochie?" Jack quizzed.

"Shouldn't be to far away, we've gotta take some cattle down the mountain and into the yards up by Koori's hut, have you met Koori yet?" asked Eddie.

"Koori? No I don't think so." Jack replied.

"She is the nicest lady this side of the range, she's indigenous and she's like our Drovers Paradise Grandma. We'll stop in there for smoko." Eddie explained.

"Morning boys, ready for our muster?" Lochie rolled off the horse and pulled his saddle tighter.

"Pretty well ready I think." Jack sniffed, his nose twitching in the cold air.

"Right then let's get going." Eddie clapped.

The three men walked their horses up into the mountains. Chatting, laughing and living. Jack hadn't breathed air so clear, his lungs marvelled in his chest. He'd been smoking since he was 18, he couldn't go a day without a smoke a few months ago, in fact he'd have a couple a day, but now he hadn't even felt the urge to roll a cigarette. He felt oddly proud of himself, he'd listened to the policeman, he'd taken June out of Port Lincoln, he'd quit smoking subconsciously, he'd fed her three meals a day but most importantly, he'd found a life he wanted to live.

"No one ever found out about the bull ride the other night," said Lochie.

"Not yet anyway." Jack chuckled.

"Mr Hughes would've been watching, he knows everything." stated Eddie.

Lochie and Jack shrugged, perhaps someone had seen, no one had complained.

"How'd it feel to be on a bull again?" Lochie questioned.

Jack had felt his soul light up as the bull thrashed and kicked beneath him. He was in his element, his whole life had once revolves around the rodeo scene. He used to sleep in the stables or on the back of Utes, more often by his sister than not. He'd ridden all of South Australia and once he was state champion, he spent his time 'dancing with the bulls', as his friends would say, up in Queensland and Victoria.

"I felt pretty wild I must admit." Jack replied.

"We've got a heap of time to spare Jack Riley, why don't you tell us about this 'bad' rodeo ride." Eddie suggested.

Jack could feel the horn in his chest, he heard his leg snap and the crowd gasp. He could feel his throbbing body scrambling for his hat.

"You don't want to hear that story," said Jack, he felt his face grow hot and hands begin to shake.

Lochie narrowed his eyes slightly, he could see right through him. Lochie had seen men get crushed by a bull, thrown 10 metres into the air, knocked down, stepped on, he'd even seen a few get killed, he knew the signs of fear, of weakness and of judgement. He knew if Jack told them that he'd stopped rodeoing because of one bad ride, they'd accuse him of being 'a pussy' or weak. Bull riding is a gamble, you put your whole life into the back of a bull and throw your arm in the air for 8 seconds, but for what?

Fame?
Money?
Adrenaline?
All three?

He didn't know why he did it, Eddie certainly didn't know, why should they expect Jack to explain why he stopped.

"Oh c'mon Jack, why'd you stop?" Eddie whinged.

"Don't worry mate, you can tell us another day." Lochie said, quietly.

Jack thanked him, a grateful glint in his eyes. He'd tell them one day, but one day wasn't today.