Chapter 36: Missing- P2

Jack's blurred vision made him dizzy. Rain dropped into his eyes and the wind was ripping at his cold body.
He swallowed hard, his throat was dry and his jaw hurt from clenching it.
His heavy head drooped, it was almost like his muscles had given up.

How long had he been out here?
Where's the horse?
Where's June?

Jack felt his heart rate increase. He wanted to stand but his body wouldn't let him. Why couldn't he move?
His fingers and toes still worked, his eyes were moving, he could bend his legs. Maybe he was so cold, his body was shutting down. He needed to find that little girl.

"June," He rasped, "Kiddo? Where are you?"

He prayed in those moments that she'd ran home. That she'd taken one of the horses and made it to the homestead, out of the cold and safe in Poppy's arms. He coughed, in attempt to make the pain in his throat subside, but it only made his head ache and his chest pound.

Jack groaned and rolled onto his side, curling up against the tree. A horse whinnied and Jack opened his eyes to see Regret rearing up as if he was summoning God.

"Woah buddy," He croaked, "Calm down."

The thunder cracked and Regret launched into the air, his front legs lifting to the dark sky. Jack lay in awe at the magnificent creature. If this was to be his final sighting, he'd die very peacefully. His wild horse was so elegant, majestic, like something you imagine or see in the movies.

Jack closed his eyes again, pain overrunning his body, but the horse snuffled it's nose under his arm, it's whiskers tickling his skin. Jack sat up slowly, holding his head as he did so.

Regret lay down beneath the tree, beckoning for Jack to rest against him. This wild horse, his mane long and hooves heavy, embraced the wild colonial boy as if he were his protector. Jack rested against the stomach of his horse, his body instantly warmed by the horses blood.

He and that horse had been paired for a reason. They had similar personalities, both unruly but kind. Both strong willed, very stubborn, wild and in need of some love. That horse was Jack's saviour that night. Regret's warmth soothed Jack's aching head and have him the strength he needed to just keep breathing.

•••
It was around midnight when Poppy saw the tree. The wind had burned her cheeks and tears fell fiercely from her eyes. Could this get any worse?

She threw her head back when she saw the pitch black horse at the other end of her torch light.

"Regret!" She gasped, throwing herself off of her own horse. She continued to scan the horse and there, curled up in a ball, tucked almost underneath the horse, was Jack.

Poppy let out a shaky breath and sank to her knees. She scuttled forward, the rain lashing at her face, her hands grabbed his shoulders and she pulled his head into her lap.

"Jacky, it's Poppy," she whispered, pushing his wet hair from his eyes.

She rested her fingers against his neck, counting each thready pulse and feeling each laboured breath.

Poppy sat there in the rain, cradling the unconscious man. Her heart ached and she wailed to the moonlit, why did god do this?

She called her horse over and grabbed the UHF on the saddle.

"Dad, over." she swallowed as she spoke.

"Poppy, what's happened? Over?" He sounded tired.

"I've found him, follow the track down you'll find us, over." She wiped her nose.

"Is he okay? Over." Lochie sounded frantic.

"I don't know." Was all she said before letting the button go.

She rested her forehead against Jack's.
"I'm right here my love," she said, "I'm not going anywhere. You're going to be fine, we'll take you home and lay you out in front of the fire. Can you feel the warm heat Jacky?"

Jack didn't stir. Poppy closed her eyes, her heart breaking into a million pieces.
"I love you," she muttered ever so quietly, "I love you with all my heart. I'm so sorry about Leo and the chaos that he bought with him. I'm sorry I didnt tell you about my baby and I'm sorry you and your darling little girl had to endure all that you did. I promise to-

"Poppy!"

Her sentence was cut short by the worried voice of Eddie. He, Lochie, Rachel and Mr Hughes rolled off their horses.

"Jesus!" Lochie cursed.

"Get him on my horse, Kozzi and I will ride him back. Eddie and Lochie you two take Regret back to the stables. You two girls, race home, ring an ambulance." Mr Hughes had an uncertainty in his voice.

•••
"Hello?" Poppy shivered. "My name is Poppy Hughes and I need an Ambulance please."

"What's happened sweetheart?" The female voice asked.

"Jack come off his horse and has been out on the mountain since 5 o'clock."

"Alright, where are you?"

"Drovers Paradise, 89 Mt Kosciusko Road, New South Wales." Poppy croaked.

"Okay, an ambulance is on their way."

She handed the phone to Rachel and raced outside to open the door. Her father trundled in, the limo body of Jack in his arms.

"Oh Dad he's going to die." She howled as he laid him on the bed.

"Poppy please." Mr Hughes shook his head.

Poppy grabbed two wooden blankets and wrapped them around Jack's body. She knelt down beside the low bed, her hand clasped in his and her fingers caressing his hair.

"There was a wild colonial boy, Jack Riley was his name. Of poor but honest parents, he was born near Castlemaine." Poppy sang softly. Jack's eyes fluttered.

"He was his father's only son, and his mother's pride and joy. So dearly did his parents love their wild colonial boy. Barely sixteen years of age, he first began to roam. And found Australia's sunny shores, and called it his true home. He robbed the wealthy squatters, their assetts to destroy." She sobbed, Jack's eyes opened slowly.

"A terror to the rich ones, was the wild colonial boy." He choked but sang with her softly and quietly.

"You're going to be okay, I love you." Poppy told him.

"I love you." He nods and closes his eyes again...

Read more: Dr. Hook - The Wild Colonial Boy Lyrics | MetroLyrics