Chapter 32: Eddie and Sophie

"C'mon! Hun'-em-up! Let's go! Push up!" Jack whistled.
He and the boys pushed the cattle into the yards, the animals droning calls driving them crazy. June perched on the railings, her little boots clanging against the steel.

"Did you count them June?" Rachel asked.

"Yep! I got 246." She announced.

She was totally off, there were only 110 steers in the pen, but everyone nodded in agreement.

"That's what I got, good job kiddo that maths is getting really good." Eddie ruffled her hair.

Poppy appeared from behind the shed door, Leo on her hip. She smiled at the sight of all her friends and she waved in glee. Leo's hand was on her waist, and his lips placed kisses on her cheek making her blush and giggle.

Jack swallowed hard, his heart sinking in his stomach. Leo had blown into his life like a chilling winter breeze and stirred up the entire workings of Drovers Paradise.

"Jacko," Eddie placed his hand on his shoulder, "how's a cuppa sound mate?"

"Yeah, I could do with one, c'mon June get down, let's go see Mr Hughes." Jack called.

June launched herself from the top rail, landing on her feet in the dust. She giggled and Eddie scoffed in astonishment.
"I didn't think you'd land that!" He scooped her up into his arms.

Jack smiled softly, Eddie and Sophie had been trying for a baby for a little over a year, and the two of them were beginning to assume the worst. The three of them wandered up to the homestead, Sophie was leaning against the veranda Post, her blonde hair blowing in the breeze.

She curled her lips in sadness at the sight of her husband and a child. It's all she'd ever wanted and now she couldn't do the one thing a woman was created to do.

"Hey love!" Eddie danced onto the veranda, pressing his lips against Sophie's. "How was the doctors?"

"Eddie they don't know what's wrong. They think it's something to do with my endometriosis but they just don't know, they think the only way we can go is IVF." Sophie sobbed.

"Then let's do it, Sophie we have to try." Eddie said.

"Ed, we don't have enough money, it's so expensive my love, there is no way, I'm sorry." Sophie hung her head.

Eddie sighed heavily. His heart was heavy and his knees were shaking.

"Sophie look at me," he tilted her chin up, "this isn't your fault. You've done nothing wrong, we'll find away to get the money I promise."

"Eddie we can't afford it." She cried into his shoulder.

Eddie let out a sigh, the money they needed was a figure of dreams and there was no way in hell they'd have the digits in their bank by the time they were 80.

That what it felt like anyway.

"How about I put in 1000," Jack suggested, he couldn't spare the money but they didn't need to know that.

"Jack don't be ridiculous, this is our baby, not yours, it probably won't work anyway." Sophie was discouraged, she slammed her hand against the side of her thigh and went inside.

Eddie slumped down against the veranda post, he buried his face in his hands. Jack ushered June inside. He sat beside his mate, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"I haven't wanted something more than I have this since I proposed. We've been married nearly four years Jacko, since we were 21! Soph's wanted a baby since we were 13, life is a bitch, I've lost mates, my foster Mum, my foster brother, and now my wife and I cant start a family without spending thousands of dollars. How unfair can life be? Some women leave their babies in bins or on doorsteps but we cant even make one!" he wiped his eyes with the back of his hand.

"You listen to me Ed, don't ever give up on this. It's too important not to, God wouldn't let you not have a child that's not how he works. Whoever is up there knows you're good people and that you've both been through way to much. I promise to do everything I can to help you but you've both got to promise to let me." Jack explained seriously.

Eddie nodded, a tear slipped from his eye. His mother had left him on the doorstep of a pub, he'd been thrown into the system and transported from house to house. He'd landed in Jindabyne when he was eight, falling into the hands of Mr and Mrs Hughes, Poppy and Joel and much to his delight, it was Christmas time. He often called his placement a Christmas miracle because for the first time, he'd found a family. He met Sophie in the winter and they were inseparable by spring. The two of them endured so much, they couldn't quit now.

"Sophie!" Eddie sprung to his feet and ran inside.

"Eddie."

"We have to have this baby, we have to try." He told her, grasping her cheeks.

Sophie's lip quivered and she kissed him. She took his hand and the two of them raced to their cottage.

Jack grinned as June returned to his lap.
"I hope I get married one day uncle Jack." She said.

"Me too kiddo, me too." His eyes fell on the couple leaning against the cattle rail.

June looked up at her uncle, his eyes were sad and she could tell he wasn't enjoying Leo's company. Poppy hadn't come and kissed her goodnight for a few weeks, even when she asked her to come. June wondered if Leo's family was missing him, and if Mr Hughes had taken Leo in like he had done Jack.
Leo wasn't very friendly to June, he didn't smile at her like the others did and whenever Poppy tried to cuddle her, he'd pull Poppy away.

"Does Leo love Poppy?" She asked quietly.

Jack held her tighter, he breathed deeply and kissed her head; "I hope not June, c'mon let's go cheer Sophie up." He winked, a forced smile lining his lips.