Chapter 18: Rebuilding

Start from the beginning

---

You felt your footsteps echo on the cold metal floor as you ran fast. The walls of a strange place you didn't recognize rose above you. Walls made of material you didn't understand. The only colour you could process was white. Everything was white. You didn't look back, but you heard the voices of your pursuers.

"Save us!!"

"You're our only hope!!"

"Help us!!"

"Don't let us die!!"

You cowered at a dead end, covering your ears. "LEAVE ME ALONE!" You screamed, finally turning to see the many remaining androids from Jericho limping towards you, hands outstretched, reaching for you, calling for you, biocomponents and thyrium spilling from their bodies, wires dragging on the floor behind them like snakes. You wanted to scream again but no sound left your body as they moved closer and closer. Suddenly strong arms gripped your body and pulled you into a side room, away from the chaos. You heard the damaged androids beat on the door as it locked automatically. You turned to see your saviour, relief flooding your features. It was Connor. He didn't smile at you, he just stared. You ran into his arms.

"Connor... where are we, what is this place?" You looked up into his calculating face. It wasn't Connor. This android had silver eyes, a more severe jawline, and an expression that was just as severe. He pushed you away and you fell to the floor. The androids had burst in behind you and were now pulling you back as you screamed. The android who looked like Connor watched, making no move to help you.

"WHERE'S CONNOR? WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM?" You screamed. Before you could hear his response, pain burst through your chest as you watched your red blood spurt from it, seeping on the floor beneath you. You heard the whizzing and whirring of biocomponents seeming to come from yourself as your head collided with the cold hard floor, and everything fell dark.

---

You gasped awake in cold sweat.

"Connor? Connor" You whipped your head around but Connor was no where to be seen. You had been lying on a soft white surface. The blanket that had been over Markus's body. You raised your head and saw Markus, still in rest mode. As you watched, he slowly opened his hetechromatic eyes and gazed at you, still not quite seeing.

"Did you blow up the freighter?" Was his first question. He moved his head around, still not quite seeing. "Just like I asked..."

You felt your face fall for some odd reason you couldn't explain. He thought you were North all along; North was the one he had asked to blow up Jericho not you.

"I'm not North, but I can get her for you..." You murmured, rising to your feet. He instantly moved his hand and grabbed the hem of your shirt.

"No..." Suddenly his eyes came into focus, and he seemed to see your face at last. "I knew it was you all along."

You slowly sat back down beside Markus. He let go of your shirt and let it rest on the old mattress. You opened your mouth to speak but you didn't know exactly what you wanted to say. He spoke first.

"I'm sorry..."

"Sorry for what?"

"For what I did..." He turned his head towards you again. "I regret it... I do. I don't know what came over me when I said and did those things to you..." You remained silent as he continued. "You have only been with us for a few weeks... but there is something about you that draws me... draws all of us to you; And I don't know what."

You stayed there silently for a long moment. You wished Connor was here with you; he always seemed to know exactly what to say. Because in this moment, you had no words. Deep inside you, you still weren't sure if you could trust Markus. But when you looked in his eyes, he seemed to deeply regret his actions; And without really think about it, you replied.

"I forgive you."

He looked up at you in surprise and you gazed at each other for a long moment. The moment was interrupted when the door burst open, and an android stood in the doorway. When you saw who it was, you rose to your feet.

"Bec!!" You squealed as you ran to her, pulling her into your arms. She did not hug you back. You pulled away to look at her, relieved that she was still alive. But she barely looked it when you stared at her face. Physically she was still on her feet; mentally she was dying. Parts of her body had been burnt, a large gash across half of her face, deactivating the use of her left eye. If you had to describe it, it seemed that she had been to hell and back. She first glared at Markus, then at you.

"Bec, you're alive... I'm so relieved. I-I thought--"

"We don't have time," She growled. "We need you out here, right now." She grabbed your wrist and dragged you from the room, down into the main area of the church. You froze as you saw the large group of androids gathered around something. When Bec approached, they cleared a space in the crowd, watching with cautious eyes as she lead you towards a figure lying on a stretcher. The whispers of the crowd hushed as you saw the burnt body seemingly frozen in time.

Lying on the stretcher was Nox; body burnt and black, limbs unmoving, thyrium pouring from his chest, discolouring the stretcher beneath him.