6

I can't believe we're finally here. It's been almost two years since I've seen Kaitlyn in person other than when she was with me during my court trial. I had very limited communication with her during that time due to my father's ruling. Now, we're free to see each other, sort of. I'm nervous beyond comprehension.

"This is the one, Liam," I say to him. He takes the turn into the fancy driveway. We stop at a gate, where Liam and I provide our IDs. The one thing I luckily still had from living a normal life. Good thing Liam also found his old wallet so he has an ID as well.

I can hear Kaitlyn's voice over the intercom as they ask her for permission. We are soon allowed entrance to the hillside neighborhood. Liam cruises through the dimly lit streets, and I scan for the number of her individual address. I didn't even have to though, because outside of her house stands the three of them: Kaitlyn, Andrew, and little Polly in his arms. We pull in to the garage and park next to a car, then I jump out, heading to my sister.

"Cade! Baby brother!" she says to me. I feel a shakiness inside me as I fall into her hug. I begin to cry as soon as she grips me back. "Oh, Cade. What has that place done to you?"

I pull away from her and sniffle. "Stillwater Lake hasn't done a single thing wrong to me, actually. I did this to myself. What I've done can't be erased and for you to simply let me back into your life... it means a lot."

"You'd do the same for me, and I know it. You've always had your quirks, but nevertheless the two of us have had each other's backs forever."

"Okay, I have to move on. Andrew, come here!" I give Andrew a big hug. Polly surprisingly remembers me well and leaps into my arms.

"I missed you, Uncle Cade!" she squeaks. I chuckle and throw her up on my shoulders.

"It really is good to see you, buddy," Andrew says in his deep voice. Liam lingers behind me shyly. "Is this the Liam I've heard so little about?"

"Yes. You guys, meet Liam Vane. He's my new work partner." Kaitlyn shakes his hand in a friendly manner. Andrew does the same. Polly, like most little kids, is too shy to say hello or touch him.

"It's nice to meet you guys. And so nice of you to let me tag along with your little brother, Kaitlyn."

"Well, you're doing us a favor as much as we are. With you keeping an eye on Cade, we feel better about his well being." Kaitlyn and Andrew chuckle.

"What the fu– frick is that supposed to mean?" I grumble, very barely minding Polly nearby in my profanity.

"For starters, you can get lost in a grocery store, so we don't need you galavanting by yourself." I punch Kaitlyn's surprisingly muscular arm.

"Let's go inside," Andrew chimes. "Polly's been showing cold symptoms and it's just freezing out here." We follow him inside to the nice house and shut the cold night behind us. Inside we're met with a regal foyer where we discard our coats. Liam pulls our luggage behind him graciously preventing me from having to do it myself. We enter the grand living room, where on the far wall is a tall staircase trailing along the curved wall, leading upstairs. The house continues underneath said wall into a lower area with a lot of empty hall space and rooms with probably no purpose yet. This is still a fairly new home for them after all.

Andrew and Polly sit down where they must've been playing together and Kaitlyn reenters from the kitchen with wine and a big grin. "Let's get drunk."

"Um, but the child?" I mention. She makes a party-pooper face at me.

"She is going to bed now, so we're free to go. She's getting picked up in the morning for ballet anyways, we can sleep in." I sigh, relieved my sister is more responsible than I assumed from her initial statement. "Liam, ask Andrew to take you to your bedrooms for the night. You can put those bags away."