Just A Spark {22}

I felt myself growing tired and shook Ezra. The last thing we needed was for me to fall asleep and the two of us to break our necks falling from the wall.

                Ezra sleepily opened his eyes. “Hm?”

                “We need to get off of the wall. I’m tired, and if I fall asleep, we’re going down and we’re not yelling timber,” I said.

                He looked around and rubbed his eyes. “I fell asleep?”

                I nodded. “Yea. You’ve been asleep for almost two hours.”

                “I’m sorry,” he said, sitting up and stretching.

                “It’s fine. How do you feel?” I asked.

                He glanced at me. “Miserable. But I’ll be fine. I feel better, in a way.”

                “Good.” I leaned over and kissed him. “Do you want to sleep over?”

                He nodded. “Yes, please.”

                We got off the wall and I held his hand as we walked back towards my house. Ezra looked lost in thought.

                “Ezra, you can stay with me as long as you need to,” I said.

                He peeked up at me and offered me a weak smile. “Thanks Rio. But I have to go home at some point.” He pulled out his phone and texted his mom. “She’ll ground me if she thinks I snuck out.”

                “The offer’s always open whenever you need me,” I said with a shrug. I sighed began to hum. “And when you feel you’re at your worst, remember all these words. When you look down, does it seem so far away? Are the names so hard to take? Great escape, we are not different I can tell. ‘Cause I’ve stood right where you’re standing, bruised, battered, beaten, broken down, wore the frown. But I’m here to tell you that you are loved, you are loved,” I sang quietly.

                “Look at you being sweet,” he said, bumping me lightly.

                I smiled at him and kissed him. “What? I can’t sing to make my boyfriend feel better?”

                “You suck at singing,” he teased, and I was glad that he felt well enough to joke around.

                He paused and gave me a serious look. “I don’t think my parents were the spark. I think you were.”

                I stared at him in confusion. “What?”

                “I’ve never trusted anyone enough to tell them all of that,” he said. “And then you came along, and I trusted you so much, and I felt like I could tell you everything. So when all of that happened tonight and then I saw you I just…the fire caught.”

                “I’m sorry,” I said, squeezing his hand.

                “Don’t be. It had to happen at some point. I’m glad it happened,” he said, looking up at the stars in the sky. “Like I said, I feel better in a way. I feel…lighter. It felt good to finally say all of that. I’ve been holding it in for years. I’m sorry you had to see that, though.”

                “You needed me,” I said. “Of course I was going to be there.”

                He gave me that weak smile again. “Thank you.”