Just A Spark {7}

I grabbed my raincoat and pulled the hood up tightly. I put on my old sneakers since I didn’t care about them getting ruined.

                I left my room, sneaking out of the house through the garage. As soon as I stepped outside, I realized just how bad this storm was.

                I contemplated driving, but realized that would wake up my parents. There’s no way they would let me go out in this storm. I was just going to have to walk.

                I took off running towards the wall, nearly slipping several times. Lightning kept flashing, and the thunder was roaring. The wind threatened to push my hood off, and I tightened it on my head.

                My glasses were being pounded with rain, making it hard to see. I stumbled along in the storm, my heart racing. I really hoped that Ezra wasn’t stupid enough to be sitting up on the wall in this storm. He would get struck by lightning.

                I slipped and fell forward, hitting the ground hard. I grit my teeth, slowly pushing myself back to my feet, my body cold and soaked.

                There was no use in trying to dry off my glasses since they would just soaked again anyways, so I just kept moving. I had to get to Ezra and make sure that he was okay.

                The wall came into my sight and I squinted up at it wildly. My vision was screwed up thanks to the rain assaulting my glasses.

                “Ezra!” I called, my voice barely audible over the screaming wind. “Ezra!”

                There was no reply, and I briefly wondered if I was an idiot for coming here. Ezra was a smart enough guy. Surely he would’ve gotten out of the rain by now on his own.

                Feeling like the biggest moron in the world, I followed along the wall until the church came into view. I darted towards it, nearly slipping again. I went up the stairs and under the dry pavilion of the church.

                I pulled my glasses off and unzipped my raincoat, using my shirt to dry off my glasses. I put them back on and jumped away in surprise.

                “I was wondering how long it would take for you to notice me,” Ezra said with a smile.

                He was sitting under the pavilion, rubbing his arms. There were goosebumps along his skin and he was soaking wet, his hair sticking to his face. He was wearing shorts and a hoodie, and they hung heavily on him, weighed down by the rain that had soaked them.

                “You idiot,” I said, going over to him. “Why would you come out in the storm?”

                “It was just raining when I came out,” he said, indicating his hoodie. “I just put my hood up and hoped it would stop. Then it started storming really bad. I figured I’d just wait it out under here.”

                “You’re going to get sick,” I said, pulling my raincoat off and draping it over him.

                “I can’t wear this. It’s yours. You need to head home before you get sick,” he said, trying to hand it back to me.

                I shook my head at him. “Just wear it, Ezra. I’m not putting it back on.”

                He sighed and pulled his hoodie off, revealing a wet T-shirt on underneath. He pulled the raincoat on and zipped it up, still shivering but looking a little warmer.