"Aw, Marc, that's adorable," Cassie said.

"Please don't shout that to everyone," he mumbled, still refusing eye contact until her fingers interlaced with his.

"That's really sweet, but we've already talked about this. You don't have to be a father to him. What happened to me just came about naturally since I was the one mostly taking care of him."

"But I kind of want to," Marc honestly admitted. "I always admired my father when I was growing up, and no offense, but I'd rather he have someone like that to look up to than his asshole of a real father."

Cassie tilted her head. "Weren't you and Miguel friends at one point?"

Marc shrugged. "Here and there. I guess his betrayal hurt either way. We used to hang out a lot when he first came to the cabin. It was nice having another boy to play with besides my brother. But he slowly began distancing himself from everyone over the years, except with Irene, of course. Lillian was such a better companion, now that I think about, even if she made me have tea parties with her stuffed animals."

Cassie giggled before catching her breath. "Well, I get where you're coming from. And I think the only way you're going to get to know Elijah better is hang out with him. Cherie said I'd probably be doing short business trips now and again. You can be the one mostly watching over him them."

Marc widened his eyes. "I-I don't know. I don't know how to take care of kids that well."

"That's a lie. You put him to bed last night, didn't you? You know some things. Lillian can help with the rest. I have faith in you," Cassie said, patting his shoulder. Slowly she stood up and stared back at the cabin. "I'm going to go shower. How about your first task will be to relieve Lillian from her babysitting duties this afternoon?"

Marc groaned.

Cassie narrowed her eyes. "Do you want to learn to interact with kids or not?"

Marc sighed, knowing deep down she was right. "I'll help out this afternoon."

Cassie gave him a quick little grin and headed back inside. Marc folded his hands together and stared out at the backyard, noticing the bright green springing back on the trees. The morning breeze blew his hair slightly as he breathed in the sweet scent of spring.

The sound of the porch door opening made him swing his head. Conny appeared with two plates. Marc's stomach grumbled just at the sight of food.

"I figured you'd want some lunch," Conny said as he sat down beside Marc.

"Thanks," Marc said, taking a bite of his sandwich. He'd been so busy training Cassie and helping her care for Elijah that he hadn't spent as much time with his brother as he'd have liked to.

"So...how are things?" Conny asked.

"What 'things'?"

"Just life in general, dude. Don't make this difficult," Conny said, resting his hands back behind him to lean up and stare at the cloud-dotted sky.

"I don't know. Same as they were? Cassie's doing well in training, although she's making me babysit more. And then I guess we're all going to get involved in the political affairs of the Preservers soon. All good fun," Marc grumbled, taking another bite of food.

"Are you nervous?" Conny wondered.

"I guess, but everything's still awhile away...for us anyway," Marc admitted.

Conny slowly nodded. "I think everything will be worth it once we can stop living in hiding and cowering under the Preservers' rule."

"I think so too. What do you want to do when all this is over?"

Conny shrugged. "I don't know. It'll be weird, right? We've dealt with this kind of world for nearly all our life. I wonder what it'd be like to be free. I don't know what I'd do. I've been helping Cherie from time to time when Lillian needs a break, and I kind of like that work. Just making plans, contacting allies..."

"Oh, god, don't tell me you're going to get into politics," Marc complained, letting out a groan.

Conny chuckled. "Honestly, I don't know. What about you?"

Marc quietly stared ahead. He already had an idea of his future, even though it still seemed so far out of reach. "I want a family," he spoke quietly.

Conny froze for a second, but Marc watched his muscles slowly relax after a few seconds.

"Simple stuff like that, huh? I can understand that. You already know what you want with Cassie, huh?"

Marc quietly nodded.

"Does she want the same?"

"I hope so," Marc replied. "Sorry. If you don't want me talking about this—"

"Don't be ridiculous, Marc. It's been two years. I've gotten over it," Conny assured him. "I think you two have a good dynamic. Are you going to ask her to marry you?"

"I don't know when but...eventually, yes," he stated.

Conny smiled. "That's great. I get to be best man at your wedding though."

"Done," Marc said, shooting him a grin.