IV

I felt relieved and settled after meeting Sandra. It was like a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulder. It felt so nice to have her back.

Since I had scattered the routine of going to one another's house for school, Sandra and Precious decided to come to my house so we could go to school together.

I was happy  to walk with my friends again. I had seriously missed them. I felt so fatuous for letting a guy come between us.

I made a vow to myself never to let any guy come between my relationship with my friends ever again.

We got to school early that day and so did Clifford. I stood cleaning my locker while Precious and Sandra chatted with each other.

Suddenly, Clifford started walking to us. My heart skipped. I knew he came to meet Sandra but I felt a mass of jealousy threatening to suffocate me.

I knew I should be used to seeing Clifford with Sandra but I wasn't.

"Hi Clifford." Precious grinned at him while Sandra smiled softly. Clifford smiled back then turned to face Sandra.

"Can I speak with you? Please?"

I was taken aback to hear that. Why would Clifford beg to speak with his girlfriend.

I continued to clean up my locker while listening to what was being said.

"Of course." Sandra replied and I watched as they both left.

"Something is going on between those two." Precious remarked.

"Hmmm." I replied.

"Anyway," Precious sighed. "Are you not done yet?"

"I am." I replied quickly. "I'll just use the toilet before assembly starts." I walked quickly out of the class with Precious' inquisitive eyes studying me.

Immediately, I got out of the class, my eyes roamed about looking for a glimpse of Sandra and Clifford.

I knew I shouldn't be doing this but I was curious to know what was going on. I felt  I would die of curiosity if I didn't find out what was going on.

Fortunately, I saw them sitting under a tree, in the school's compound. I quietly walked to the tree so they would not notice my presence.

I stood at the back of the tree, while prying my ears to hear their conversation.

"I don't understand what you're talking about Sandra. It's not clear to me." I heard Clifford say.

"I'm sorry Clifford. I really am. I don't mean to hurt you but—"

"This is bullshit." Clifford interrupted as he stood up quickly and turned to go.

"Clifford! Clifford!" Sandra got up also and raced after him. "Clifford wait!"

But he didn't wait. Instead he kept walking fast without looking back. I was transfixed at my position.

I couldn't move. What was going on? Just then, I heard the bell ring. It was time for assembly.
★ ★ ★

After four uninterrupted classes, it was finally lunch hour. We sat at our favourite spot in the school's cafeteria munching a pack of popcorn.

Our favourite spot was by the window. We chose that spot for one reason or the other.

Precious said she liked the deem sunlight that shone on her through the window while Sandra said she could see all that was happening outside from the window.

Well, I liked the cool fresh breeze from the window.

As we sat in the cafeteria, I studied Sandra. She looked lost as she fiddled with her popcorn pack.