37. Never again ~ HARRIET

Nazy was pushing clothes in my arms and I wasn't even aware she was doing it until she suddenly let out a shriek because I accidentally dropped a dress

Nazy was pushing clothes in my arms and I wasn't even aware she was doing it until she suddenly let out a shriek because I accidentally dropped a dress. She plucked it off the floor and said, "Harry, that thing is like five thou— What's wrong?"

"What?"

"You're staring," Krista said, taking the clothes from me.

"I, um..."

Nazy raised her eyebrows at me in question and Krista got distracted by a pair of white, high-waisted pants, so I just kind of started patting the folded t-shirts right next to me to avoid looking at Nazy, because I had a feeling that if I told her I was brought out of sorts because I saw Mason, she'd make a big deal out of it, and I didn't want that. I didn't want to depend on anyone anymore. I just wanted to deal with these things on my own.

But I couldn't really think of anything to tell her instead, so she went on to ask, "Did something happen?"

"N-no."

"Okay, so something happened."

I crossed my arms with a sigh and walked after Krista, who was making her way to the fitting rooms, but Nazy wouldn't have it. She came to stand beside me as I pretended to be interested in Krista's pants when she came out to show them to me. I gave Krista a thumbs up when I saw that it fit her big, round hips perfectly and she went back into the fitting room, humming a song under her breath. Then Nazy quietly sat down on one of the waiting chairs and asked, "Harry, what happened?"

"Nothing. Just let it go."

She rolled her eyes, but she did let it go. We waited for Krista to come back out, and when she did, she took the pants from Krista and put the rest of the clothes on the rack outside the fitting rooms meant for clothes that didn't fit or weren't wanted. "Come on, I'll pay."

"Wait," Krista protested. "I wasn't actually going to get those! As much as I appreciate you throwing your parents' money at everything, these pants are, like, super expensive."

Without looking at the tag, Nazy made her way over to the checkout, calling over her shoulder, "That's the point."

"I feel more and more indebted to her every time we go shopping," Krista murmured to me. "What if her parents ever decide to ask everything back or some shit? You know how they are."

"I doubt it," I replied.

"Did you pick something as well, Harry?" Nazy asked.

"No, I don't need anything."

"I thought you said you needed a new skirt the other day."

I had said no such thing.

"No, thanks. I have enough skirts."

"Very well," she said, before paying for Krista's pants. By the time we'd left the store, she seemed to have forgotten about my little moment, as did I, but when we walked out of the store, she started looking around for something, and I didn't realize what she was doing until she muttered, "I knew it."