27. The gay disease ~ JACKSON

Telling Mason to choose seemed pretty pointless, but I did it anyway to give him something to focus on, because I knew he'd probably go crazy otherwise

Telling Mason to choose seemed pretty pointless, but I did it anyway to give him something to focus on, because I knew he'd probably go crazy otherwise. I doubted Harriet was gonna take him back after he cheated on her, and I didn't know exactly why Kenny was so mad at him, but if Kenny was mad, you'd done something real shitty to piss him off. Our high school friends and I had pulled off so, so many stunts with him that only resulted in an annoyed sigh—maybe the silent treatment for an hour or two—but he never got mad. I'd only seen him this angry once before. Some rando once stole his wallet, which held about a hundred dollars and the tickets to a movie we all really wanted to see. It was quite tragic.

Nonetheless, I hoped Kenny could find it in him to forgive Mason or something, because having a brother and a best friend who couldn't even be in the same room because of this stupid lovers quarrel was... a bit of a problem. That didn't mean I wanted them to be together, though. Besides the fact that it was just too weird for words, I didn't think Mason should be with Kenny, because he was a fucking idiot, and Kenny had already been bending himself backwards for my stupid brother for years, while Jamie was already there.

"Hey, has Kenny ever told you about Jamie?"

I was revising with Andre in my room (though I wasn't doing much revising) and he stuck his pen in his afro, humming slowly, before he replied, "I think he's mentioned the name once or twice but I don't know who it is. Why?"

"Because I hope they start dating."

Andre frowned and the pen fell out of his hair.

"Wait, who's Jamie again?"

I grabbed the pen from the floor and told him, "He's Kenny's fuck buddy. And yes, I said 'he', and no, I'm not joking. They've been fucking since the end of senior year."

"Oh, so... Kenny's into guys?"

"Yep. He's out there getting pussy and dick."

"Huh. You learn something new every day."

"Yeah, same. I can't believe he never told us in high school. As far as I know..." I trailed off and shrugged. "Well, I guess it can be scary. I wouldn't know. He seemed to have a lot of trouble telling me, since it took him like five years."

"Aw, cute."

"Weirdo."

"Do you think he didn't tell us because he had a crush on one of us?"

"No," I said, giving him a weird look. "He most definitely did not. Why would you even assume such a thing?"

He shrugged and said, "Well, I had a crush on you."

"Sure, Andre," I replied, giving him a look, knowing full well that he was joking. He immediately started cackling with joy and almost fell off the bed, proving my point. If anyone had a crush on me in high school, it was definitely not Andre. I gave him a shove and said, "Anyway, you should help."