Chapter 2 - First meetings!

Depuis le début

"Mr Malhotra I understand you are a cricketer and it's a bit of a shock knowing you won't be able to play for a few months but we're helpless. Your leg needs to recover!" She explained calmly.

"I understand... I kind of just over reacted. Cricket is everything for me!" He said with a sigh.

"I understand that feeling. My job is everything to me too. Seeing a smile on my patients and their families face after they have recovered makes me really happy." The doctor said with a smile.

"And seeing a smile on my team mates and the rest of the nations face when we win a match makes me truly happy! That reminds me, did you see my winning shot?" He said with a smirk as the doctor looked at him.

"Actually Mr Malhotra I don't watch cricket." She said casually as she started to work on the cast on his ankle.

"What? You don't watch cricket?" He said with shock

"Yeahhh. I am possibly part of  that 10% of India's population who don't watch cricket." She said as she shrugged her shoulders and applied some antiseptic cream on his knees where he was bruised due to the fall.

"More like 1%!" He said in a low tone but the doctor heard him.

"If that's what you think!" She said.

"By the way Doctor, I'm sorry for calling you some junior doctor. I assumed you're just a newly qualified doctor. I shouldn't have said that." He genuinely apologised.

"It's okay. A lot of people assume that." She said as she walked towards the trolley to collect some band aids.

"How old are you? If you don't mind me asking." He further asked.

"25! I have been working in this hospital for 4 years. I did my experience here too." The doctor replied without hesitation. She didn't mind him asking her age.

"Wow you've accomplished a lot at this age!" He said proudly.

"Hmmm I guess! But I have a lot more to achieve yet. What about you?" She questioned.

"Well I've been playing cricket ever since I was a little boy. I'm 26 now. I played for India's under 18 team and when I was 20, I got selected for the Indian team. I have been a part of the team for 6 years now." He said with a serene smile. His passion for cricket was visible on his face.

"That's amazing! You really do love cricket! Your check up is done! I have applied some plasters on the little bruises you had and your cast is done properly too. You will have to use crutches for the next few weeks for support. We will give them to you tomorrow before you leave the hospital and we will help you to get used to walking with them too. You will need to take your medicines soon and food will also be sent to you. I will be in my cabin, if you need anything please give me a shout." The doctor explained everything to him as she walked towards the bin to remove her gloves.

"Sure, thanks doctor.... urm sorry what's your name?" He asked.

"Doctor Murthy, Nandini Murthy!" She turned around and said with a smile.

"Nandini? Lovely name! South Indian?" He questioned.

"Yup!" She replied.