|Thirty-Five|

XERXES KNIGHT

My study was empty and cold except for the two beings facing each other, separated by the large wooden table.

Zues swirled the brown liquid in his glass, his eyes focused on the movement of the whisky before gulping the whole liquid. While my glass reminded on the table, untouched.

"You aren't going to join me." It wasn't a question but a statement. He knew me well, and knew I was not much of a drinker not that the alcohol had any effect on us- werewolves.

"I'm not going to get drunk anyway." I pointed out before taking my glass in hand and gulping the whole content.

Just the sharp of the whiskey remained nothing else.

"That's all the more reason to drink." Zues commented filling my glass before his.

Unlike the rest of us, Zues loved to indulge himself into alcohol and enjoy the taste.

But drowning ourselves in alcohol was not the reason why I wanted to talk with him alone. And I had no reason to delay the talk.

"I called you here because I wanted to talk with you about something."

Zues put the bottle of whiskey back on the table and gave me his undivided attention.

"What did you see?" I didn't explained further because he was a man of wit and knew what i was talking about.

Zues, who always had better control over his emotions made a slip as soon as he heard my question. His eyes widen just a little but it didn't miss my eye.

Zues took a sip from his glass, his eyes moving onto the surface of the table, looking slightly disturbed.

His reaction proved my doubts and I was certain he had seen something, even a glimpse about Meryl's past.

His abilities to see the past was complicated. It wasn't voluntary but forceful, unlike ours. He couldn't chose whose past he wants to see but was shown the past of the people with or without his will.

Over the centuries, Zues had learned to control his abilities but it still wasn't perfect. Despite his strong resistance, sometimes he couldn't dodge the will of his abilities and end up losing and giving in or in other times, he ends up winning yet getting a glimpse of their past.

He haven't used his ability for over two centuries but I still remember the times he struggled when it pushes forward and tries to break his resistance. His self control pushed to its limit.

"Nothing." He answered monotonously, his eyes meeting mine, not dating to look away.

Certainty rang in his voice, but I was still dubious.

I couldn't be wrong, not when I witnessed it with my own eyes. Zues would go rigid whenever Meryl was around, his fist would form in a fist and his jaw grows taunt. I also didn't miss the occasional cold stare he threw her way without Meryl's knowledge.

There was only two possibilities- he had either seen her past or he wasn't in favor of her.

Whatever the reason, I had to find out because It was related to my mate.

"You know the consequences of lying to an Alpha King. Brother or not, you wouldn't be spared if I find out you were lying." I reminded him calmly. I wasn't bluffing when I said there would be punishment because there would be- death.

"I know." Zues bowed in head instinctively in respect. "But what I say is true. I did see nothing, Alpha King."

Despite his strong stance and confident words, I couldn't shake of the feeling that he knew something about Meryl which he was hiding from everyone.