Her cheeks reddened deeply, and he watched in fascination as her throat convulsed nervously. "But I've had time to watch and observe you since then. See how good you are."
    He shook his head. She wasn't getting it. "Lou, you don't want me, not really. I haven't treated you like a second class citizen and now you think you want me." He had to make her understand where he was coming from. He didn't like feeling like he had taken advantage of her, and he needed her to see that.

Now she was angry. "I think I know my own mind, Cain."

"Do you now? Tell me," he said slowly, "was that your first real kiss, where there was consent from both parties?" He felt in his gut that it was. She would hardly distrust men so completely--until him--if she'd had a positive experience with one who wasn't her brother.

She opened her mouth but then promptly shut it, her eyes flashing in frustration.

"I thought so," he sighed. He was glad to see that her flush was no longer one of desire, but one of anger and embarrassment.

"I hardly think that says I don't know what I want," she stated, her hands on her hips. "Who are you to decide for me?"
    "I'm not deciding for you, Lou," he growled, his own anger growing. Why couldn't she see that he was doing this for her? To protect her from himself? He'd proven multiple times that his control wasn't at its best when she was around. "I'm deciding for me. I don't want to take advantage of a female who's ready to throw herself at the first man who shows her a little respect."

She gasped in indignation. He winced internally, knowing that it came out far harsher than he intended. He hadn't meant to imply that she was loose... but if that's what it took for her to help him put some barriers up, then that's what needed to happen. He couldn't believe he was turning down a beautiful woman, one who a moment ago had wanted him. Even now, flushed and angry, his body craved another taste. His pants tightened again and he squeezed his fists together, completely horrified at his body's response when he was trying to be a good man.

"Let me tell you something, Cain Beauford," she stepped forward menacingly, her eyes flashing as her wolf surged forward. She was mad, but she still wasn't afraid of him. This was like the anger she showed him upon their initial meeting, her Alpha wolf clashing with his. It was a clash of wills. Not like when she was mad at him in the kitchen, when she was terrified he would try to hurt her. That had been using anger to hide her fear of him. This anger he could deal with, this was the anger he wanted. As long as she wasn't afraid of him, he considered it progress. Her finger poked into his chest as she spoke, letting him know that she meant business. Unfortunately for them both, her anger did nothing to dampen the sparks he felt at her touch. "You are an ass."

With that, she turned and marched to the basement and presumably her designated bedroom. He watched after her, not moving as he tried to get control of his wolf. The beast was completely enthralled with her. An Alpha female was she, a status and will to match his own, and he wanted her. It had been one day, a single day, and his wolf had his sights set on the fiery female. One day. Cain really was losing his mind. Their interactions had done a complete 360. It started with her not taking his shit, to being afraid of him, to kissing until they were both breathless and needy, then back to not taking his shit. His head was spinning.

"What the hell is happening to me," he asked, looking up at the ceiling. His next words were directed at the moon. "I hope you know what you're doing."

<><><><><><><><>

    Lou woke up still angry. The nerve of him to imply she was a slut just throwing herself at him! Also the nerve of him to reject her. She balled her fists at her sides, looking up the ceiling of her bedroom. She wasn't rejected, she did the rejecting.