V. My Soul To Take

Start from the beginning

Erikur shakes his head, taking his cell phone from his pocket, but the screen doesn't light up. He furrows his brows, "I swore I charged it."

"Mine's not working either," Svana holds her phone out, my flashlight shining against both the screens. The air moves through the garage and down the side opening we are standing in, Svana telling me, "Call the police."

The sounds draw closer, Erikur motioning and calling the two of us, "Come on, there is a utility closet at the end of the hall on the right side."

Nodding, we follow him, my flashlight ensuring that we won't break our necks in the process. Erikur opens the closet door, Svana darting inside before I follow. Erikur steps inside, closing the door behind him and locking it.

Svana asks me, "Are you calling?!"

"Hang on," I slide my phone open and dial '911', bringing the cell phone to my ear. I don't hear ringing, furrowing my brows and redialing.

Sounds thump off the walls of the hallway, my hands shaking as I hold the cell phone. Erikur asks, "Was someone with you?"

"I don't know what it was," I reply, the call still not going out.

"It?!" Svana hisses, her voice low as the thumping sounds reverberate the walls.

Shaking my head, I flash the light toward us and state, "I thought it was a man...but, I-"

"Katla," his voice pierces through the darkness, my heart stopping in my chest.

Svana and Erikur look at me, my eyes wide with fear, horror, not knowing how this...thing? A thing, yes, how this thing knows my name...

Scrapping comes from the walls, his voice almost like a gentle caress, "Katla," he calls again, feeling the way the sound of it gets under my skin. There's a pause, before a loud bang echoes off the hallway wall and Svana screams, slapping a hand over her mouth.

"Oh, Katla, let's not play cat and mouse...especially when the prize isn't mere cheese," he chuckles, amusement filling his voice as the way it causes my muscles to move toward the door, a brief thin layer of fog clouding my mind.

Erikur asks with horror, reaching out and grabbing my wrist, "What are you doing?! Do you know him?"

"No..." my voice trails off. Shaking my head, I snap out of it, Erikur releasing my wrist as I draw my hand back, my eyes searching his features.

Silence.

My blood pounding in my ears is what intensifies with each passing second of silence.

"Boo," the presence of the man is behind the three of us, in the space of the utility closet. Svana and I scream, Erikur yelling as he grasps the door handle and flings it outward. He crashes out into the hallway, Svana and I running after him, though we can hear the amusement in the man's voice when he chuckles, "Run, run, run..."

As we run down the hallway, my flashlight glances off the walls, seeing the markings that have been left behind. Satanic symbols, claw marks and other places where the wall is caving in can be seen. Erikur runs around the corner to where the cars are, glancing around, but he says, "Flash the light around, I can't see anything."

"Jesus Christ! What the hell was that?!" Svana moves close to me, feeling her shaking just as I am.

"I don't know," Erikur shakes his head, glancing back over his shoulder as we don't hear anything. He turns to me and asks, "Let me have your phone, there's another breaker box just inside the basement. You two can head inside, alerting everyone else."

Svana and I glance at one another, nodding quietly before I outstretch my hand and Erikur takes my phone. The second the exchange happens, my phone becomes blank, the light from the flashlight goes out.