Chapter 5

Freya ate the cafeteria's lukewarm scrambled eggs in silence. She hated people who thought they could control her life. She could do whatever she wanted. She could protect herself. She inadvertently sighed and quickly glanced around to make sure no one had heard. Letting people in was out of the question. Thoughts of Jamie suddenly popped into her mind, and she grimaced. He made her feel, and she was trying not to do that. She stood and dumped the rest of her food, walking out of the cafeteria. She walked and walked until she was thoroughly lost.

Suddenly, she came upon an open field several miles away from the cabin. It surprised her to see people spread out along the forest line. They all seemed to be concentrating on something. Walking by a small cluster of women, she saw one woman whispering to a flower in her hand, which was growing right in front of her eyes. Across the way, she saw a man lift a huge rock from the border to the forest, which he then threw ten feet with amazing strength. Freya slowly walked down a small hill to the field. She gazed in awe as two guys, who looked to be in their twenties, were battling with what looked like dolls made out of sticks – only they weren't holding them. Each was cheering for their little stick minion as the dolls grabbled and smacked each other in the dirt.

A tall, muscular guy doing some karate moves on a rock looked so cocky that Freya decided to mess with him. Her eyes flashed, and the rock he was standing on levitated a few feet off the ground. The guy looked so scared that Freya laughed and let the rock drop. He stumbled and fell as the rock hit the earth. Looking around wildly, he tried to figure out what happened. Freya turned around and ran into someone wearing a white coat. She looked up at the woman, who knowingly smiled down at her.

"Hello. I'm Samantha, one of the training instructors," she said, holding out a hand. Freya shook it. "Welcome to the training field. I see you already have an understanding of what you can do." She glanced over at the man who had fallen and smiled. Suddenly, Samantha was gone. Freya raised an eyebrow and turned to see Samantha standing behind her. "I have the ability of teleportation," she explained. "I was born with it. Now, I work here," she gestured around her, "helping people realize and control their abilities, but I need to know you a bit before I can help you."

Freya eyed Samantha suspiciously before replying, "I'm Freya."

Samantha smiled. "That's a start. Now, I saw what you did with the rock, but what else can you do?"

"Well, I unlock things, I can see things that are far away, I can sometimes heal minor injuries, stop things or people from moving and, well, I can choke people with my mind."

"Sounds like you have telekinesis," Samantha smiled. "We can work with that. Now, I need you to tell me when things have gotten out of control. That's what we have to work on."

Freya sighed, not wanting to admit that she was out of control sometimes. "Well, I accidentally made a tree fall when we came through the barrier to base, and I sort of lose it when I get angry."

"So sudden changes make you lose control? When can work with that," Samantha said again, smiling. She beckoned for one of the other trainees to come over. "Freya, this is Douglass. He can affect other people's emotions. Now, he's going to make you really angry in a second, and I want you to try to control it."

Freya took a deep breath and nodded. Douglass tilted his head slightly, and all of a sudden, Freya felt the familiar sense of rage flowing through her. She embraced the anger and tried to control it, aiming it at the ground in front of her. Suddenly, the field burst into flame, and people started screaming. Freya looked up at Samantha and shrugged her shoulders. One of the other trainees, a young woman with a short, blonde pixie cut, rushed forward and held her hands up to the sky. Immediately, the clouds rolled together and thunder crashed. Freya watched as a sudden downpour of rain put out the fire and soaked everyone.