2

47 days had passed since my dad left us. He kept his word and called us when he could, but there were some weeks where he missed that chance. Mom and I had unpacked all the boxes and had everything put away.

"We have a special privilege today." Captain said to us as our JROTC class got started. "We will have the chance to Skype with a base out in Afghanistan." I ignored much of what he was saying until the screen showed someone trying to Skype with us. It was answered and I had to keep myself from screaming when I saw who it was. "Hey guys." My dad said to the camera he was holding. "I have a message from all of us here, but first I want to hear about you." he said and Captain told him what we had been working on. "Say hi to your mother for me, Legacy." People in the room looked in my direction and I had to keep myself calm. Just then the camera moved to show a whole room of marines and a few other people. Then they started to sing happy birthday to me. I was not expecting it at all, in fact I had forgotten what today was. "I know this is the sixth birthday that I have missed, but I will make it up to you. I promise, I gotta go now." My dad called before ending the message. I was trying not to cry right now.

"How long has he been gone?" Captain asked as the lights were turned back on. "47 days, five hours, and ten minutes." I say thinking of the count down in my head, which was really good. A few people wished me a happy birthday before gathering up their things and leaving. "Why didn't you tell me that it was your birthday?" Eric asked. I shrugged it off and we made our way to the lunch room. It was unusually quiet today, so I ate quickly and made my way to my next class of the day. Then as soon as class ended I went straight to the bike rack to wait for Eric.

"Took you long enough." I said as he unlocked his bike. "Not everyone can run a two miles in ten minutes." He said, having a few issues unlocking his bike, causing me to laugh. "Come on, my mom is making her quiche today." I say, referring to our favorite after school snack. That gets him moving a bit faster. As we peddle toward my house it starts to snow. It has been doing this the past few days, but it melts by the next morning. "Make a wish?" Eric said as he slowed down so we were side by side. "It's you birthday and it's snowing." I must have looked confused. "Never mind." My friend said as we neared my house. "I wish that we could just stay in one place for a few years, like most families." I say, causing him to become the confused one now. "My wish." I say as I peddle a bit faster. "How many times have you moved?" his question makes me think a bit, but I quickly find the answer. "Every two years or so, but sometimes we stay in one place longer or shorter than others." I say thinking about all the places that I have been. I let him do the mate in his head. "Until I met you I always thought that it would be cool to move around a lot, but now it doesn't sound as good." Eric says as we take the sharp turn into my driveway. 

As soon as we enter the house my mom calls for us to take our shoes and jackets off. "Nice to see you Mrs. Binary." Eric greats my mom, while I just say hello. "You are one of the most polite young men I have ever met." She says as she takes her quiche out of the oven. "Well I hope that is not true." Eric says with a small laugh. "We saw dad today." I said calmly. My mom surprised me by saying that she already knew. "Now go wash up before you two eat." she tells us with a smile.