1

My first day of school in a new town. My mom came with me, so she could see the school for herself, and she had to sign some paperwork. At one point I was sent out of the office so my mom and the principal could talk. "Her father is military and there is a chance that it will be hard on her." I know that already, but I was fine with it, as long as he came back. "Here is your schedule and you may say good bye to your mother now." Principle Dachshund said and I said "There is never a good good bye." This takes him off guard a bit, but we soon are making our way to my first class of the day. "Mrs. Smith, you have a new student." The principal says as we enter a classroom. There are about twenty people in there, all sophomores, like myself. With that said I was left alone in the classroom. "You can find an empty desk and sit there." The teacher said, but I had already found a desk and sat down. "Alright, back to Ancient Rome." Mrs. Smith said getting the class back to the lesson.

You're new." It was a boy, who looked about a year older than myself. "So." I said heading to the room where JROTC was to be at. "I just wanted to be the first to say welcome to our school." he said as I entered the classroom, with him following right behind me. "Who is this?" the teacher asked as I entered. "She's new." The boy said before I could speak. "Legacy Binary." I say as I go to shake his hand. "You're military, I can tell by your hand shake." The man said before asking what branch. "Marine." came my simple answer. "I can see that you have meet Eric. I am Caption Blackmill, JROTC teacher here." The Captain said to me before handing me over to another person, who assigned me a uniform and that kind of stuff.

The next class of the day for me was English. I got a cold welcome from the students there, who all knew that I was new and had just moved here.

"Tell us about yourself." Mr. Clinton asked since the bell had rung. "Well, I have live in England, France, Japan, Germany, Australia, and the United States." I say naming off the places that I have lived. A few kids thought that I was just making it up, until I asked them in all the languages of the country's that I have lived in about their age, which caused their mouths to go a gap. That still didn't convince all of them, but I could live with that. The last class of the day for me was Track and thanks to my dad I was able to pass everyone on our two mile run, ending ahead of them by a good two minutes.

My mom picked me up from school and I was about to tell her about school when her phone rang. She answered it and drove the few miles to our house, still on the phone, so when the care stopped I got out and left her sitting there. "Where's your mom?" My dad asked as I walked into the kitchen. "Talking on her phone again." I say, causing him to give a small laugh. "Sometimes I just want to put that darn thing in the garbage disposal." he says, earning a smile from me. There was something in the way he was talking and moving that got my attention. "What's wrong?" I ask just as my mom enters. "I got a letter in the mail; they want me to leave by the end of this week." When he says that my stomach dropped. "But you still have a month left." I try to protest, knowing that it is no use. "Listen here, it will only be for ten months this time." It was shorter then others he had been on, but that meant nothing to me right now.

That night dinner was served on paper plates and then I retreated up to my room to do homework, but I didn't even get any. What I did instead was search for my bugle and uniform that went with it. I only had them because my dad had me play taps a funerals.

The next day I ignored everyone who tried to talk to me. "I have only known you for a day and I can tell that something is wrong; what is it?" Eric asked as he set his try down next to me at lunch. "My dad leave at the end of this week." I say gloomy. "That sucks." came the reply. I nodded in response. The rest of the day, and week for that matter went by in a blur. "See you later." I said to my dad as he gathered up his last bag before he and mom made the two hour journey to the airport. He gave me a hug and promised to call when he could, with that he and my mom left.