3

Christmas was fast approaching now. Not much had happened since my birthday.

As i got ready for school there was this feeling of dread that I could not shake. I opened the door to leave for school just as two people were about to knock. "Legacy how many times do I have to tell you..." She stopped speaking when she saw who was there. My fear was confirmed when the men started speaking. After they left i felt numb. My mom meanwhile broke down and I tried to comfort her.

It was around noon when she ran out of tears and I decided to call one of her friends over, so I could go get tne homework I needed from school. As soon as I left the house i allowed myself to cry for the first time.

I managed to compose myself before I walked into the school. Thankfully classes had not changed yet. When I walked into the office to ask for my work that I was going to miss I was greeted by strange looks. "I just need the next few days of work." I explained to the lady at the desk. "And what might the reason of your absence be?" The Lady asked. "Family issues." It was the truth. "I'll bring it by." Eric piped up from a chair where he was holding a bloody nose. "Thanks." I said, my voice cracking. "What happened?" He asked standing up. "The uniforms came." Was my grim answer, my voice nearly audible.