CHAPTER FIFTY

Darcius entered the room.  A fire roared in a corner.  In the centre of the room stood Finn.  His thick arms were folded in front of his leather chest plate and his yellow eyes were gleaming with intent.

Darcius padded casually around the room, his paw on the handle of his dagger. “Big mistake Finn.”

“I don’t think so Darcius.  This ends now.  My scougers will kill that ratain. He won’t get past the gates. It is too late.”

Darcius nodded. “The gates. Ah, yes. It is true, once guarded they would be very difficult to pass.”

 “You never think Finn, about the cruel joke played upon us down here?  Look at us.  Worse than when these halls were full of ratain slaves.  We are pathetic.”

“Dragons Darcius! What are you planning? A trade with the ratains? They will find us, destroy every last one of us.”

Darcius nodded again with a grim smile, “Yes Finn, you are blind.  But let me tell you this, stupid catain. The ratain king is not going to the gates, for there is a secret escape… I have found it, tested it, and he goes there, right now.”

Finn pointed at Darcius, his eyes ablaze, “Tell me where this place is Darcius!  It is not too late for this madness to end!”

“Yes Finn, yes it is. I can never leave this place with you alive, or your precious fake princess.  My scougers are on their way to clean the dirt from Cataindar.”  He smiled at the reaction across Finn’s features, “Yes Finn, once again she may already have been relieved of her head.  Once again, it is your fault.”

“Argh!” Finn drew his swords and charged.

With a streak of silver Darcius met Finn’s first two blows, and with a powerful front kick he pushed the golden catain back.

They circled, Finn’s eyes narrowed. Darcius smiled back.

“You are done for Finn!”

Their swords clashed again, Darcius spun, whipping out with his dagger, Finn met it with his sword and pushed forward, elbowing Darcius in the face. The pain jolted Darcius, he staggered back and dipped his head, dodging Finn’s follow-through thrust. Darcius lightly danced back, gaining space letting his head clear. 

Finn was strong.

The catain’s stones burnt a bright blue in their weapons as they circled.  Finn came forward once more with a rapid succession of blows striking again and again.  Darcius blocked each one, the sound of their sword’s metal clashing filling his ears. Each blow drove him further back. Darcius spun, swinging his sword round in a great arc, but Finn ducked the blow and charged forward, Darcius felt himself being pulled up in the air and was slammed into the ground.  

Swords scattered out of reach as Finn landed on top of Darcius knocking the wind out of him. Darcius down was pinned, and Finn let his rage fly, pounding fist after first smashed into Darcius’ face.  Darcius rolled with the blows, squirming until he managed to get his hind-paw on Finn’s thigh.  He kicked Finn off him sending him careening across the room. Staggering to his feet, Darcius dragged himself towards his dagger. Finn pounced across the room and landed heavily on his back, his powerful arms snaking under Darcius’ chin around his throat.

Hnnnn!”

Darcius felt Finn squeeze with all his catain strength.

Darcius could feel his eyes bulge with the pressure, his breath cut off. He fell forward, flat on his stomach, reaching out towards his dagger. His head swam, his vision began to cloud, but he could still see his dagger, extending as far as he could, he felt the tip of his claw touch it, just a fraction further, his claw pawed the end, his vision was going dwindling to a dot,