36. Inspired by what? Your future in hell?

Start from the beginning

Jason smiles widely. "I'm glad someone did it."

I take the keys from the floor next to Devin and unlock Lily's cell. She scowls at me.

"I'm mad at you too," She says. "What the hell were you thinking leaving me out of this plan?"

I shrugged. "I might have been inclined to tell you, but you went off with Sam and got yourselves caught. So I didn't have the chance."

"But you're not sure you would have anyway," Lily states. I nod. She frowns as she gazes at the bruise on the side of my face and turns her cold glare to Devin who's just now getting to his feet. "He hit you."

I nod again. "I was expecting it. It was part of the plan," I reply. I narrow my eyes at Devin. "The kick that came after wasn't."

"Just playing the part," Devin says with a smile. His smile falters when Lily takes a threatening step toward him.

He pulls Jason in front of him to use as a human shield.

Jason scowls at him. "I'm about two seconds from shooting you," Jason says. "I wouldn't be using me as a human shield right now."

"Quite frankly, I'm offended how easily you all believed I'd turn on you," Devin says as he takes a few steps away from Jason.

"Also," Zack speaks up again. "No tears shed for my death? Really? I thought you people cared."

"No one likes you," Devin says bluntly. "I thought that was clear."

Zack scowls at him. He drops a bag off his shoulder and roots around in it, pulling out several weapons, and Lily's spiked heels. He hands them to her.

"I love you," She says as she takes them and slips them on quickly. "And for the record, I was sad you died. I actually like you."

Zack smiles widely and shoots a smug look Devin's way. "You hear that Devin?"

Devin looks about ready to actually kill him this time.

Lily glares at him. "You have no damn right to be angry about anything."

I take a pair of handcuffs off the guard and toss them to Devin. He smiles widely. "Ready for me to take you to your doom?" He questions with an evil laugh.

I nod. "Let's get this done," I reply, turning my back to him so he can cuff my hands. He places the handcuff key in my hand and I close my fist around it.

"How bad was Sam?" I question softly. Devin pauses before he finishes cuffing my hands. Zack shifts uncomfortably back and forth on his feet.

Devin finishes cuffing my hands. "He wasn't good," Is all he says.

Not an answer I wanted to hear.

"Garrett doesn't take being tricked very well," Zack says quietly. "And evidently Sam has been tricking him for years."

I nod, keeping my face blank. "Devin, how long do you think you'd be able to take on Garrett?"

Devin looks surprised by my question. "Uh, I really don't know. I don't have much experience actually fighting the guy. I was also under the impression that you would be fighting him."

"You scared of Garrett?" Lily questions in a taunting tone.

Devin stares seriously back at her. "Who in their right mind wouldn't be?"

"I'll need to see how bad Sam's wounds are. And I need to get him out of here as quickly as possible," I reply to Devin. "Which means you're going to have to be the distraction."