23. A lot worse

And here's another update. Again, still really busy, so I still can't tell you when the next update will be. But I figured I wouldn't leave you all with that cliffhanger for too long this time.

Thirteen's POV 

The door lands with a loud thud on the floor, and the body of one of the three men is on top of it. Cracks spreading out like a spider web across his helmet.

"What the hell?" Devin questions and I look up to see what's caught his attention.

The other two guys are fighting each other.

I watch as they throw kicks and punches at each other, flame throwers discarded on the ground. Each one dodges the other as best as he can. One of the guys is suddenly slammed back into the wall and I can hear the cracking of the helmet as it makes contact with the wall.

"Come on." I hiss quietly and motion for everyone to start leaving the room while these guys are distracted with each other.

We make it to the exit without either of them noticing. Lily and Devin file out first to make sure the coast is clear before motioning for everyone else to follow. I watch the two guys as the one who was slammed into the wall is then punched repeatedly in the side and seems to be losing at the moment.

I don't know which one, if either was intentionally helping us or is on our side, should be helped so I don't dwell on it and put my focus on making sure we all get out of here.

Chase is the last one out the door other than me so as soon as he's out I follow. But I don't make it very far.

I'm grabbed from behind and thrown backwards. I hit the floor hard, my back and the majority of my right side screaming in protest as I move to try and sit up. I roll onto my left side and look up in time to see the door that everyone else had gone through get slammed shut, and locked.

There's banging on the other side of the door as they try to get back in. I stare at the guy standing between me and the door before turning my head to look at the guy he was fighting before. He lays in a crumpled heap on the floor behind me. I can't tell whether or not he's alive but at this point he's not going to be of any hep to me anyway.

I jump to my feet as he stalks towards me, pulling a knife out of my boot as I do.

He takes a swing at me and I duck, swinging out the knife. He dodges it at the last minute. He pulls a knife off his belt as well and begins to attack more quickly, more calculated. I duck and dodge, barely getting in any swings or hits of my own since I'm too busy trying to make sure I don't get stabbed.

I back up far enough from him and pull my arm back before swinging it forward, throwing the knife in my hand perfectly for it to come into contact with his neck. Only, that doesn't happen.

He brings his arm up to block the knife and I watch in shock as the knife simply bounces off his arm with a metal clang. Understanding dawns immediately. He's wearing some kind of metal body armor under his clothes. Great. Just great.

Who is this guy?

He throws his knife and I just barely manage to dodge it. Unfortunately, I took my eyes off him for a second too long and the next thing I know, he's slamming into me.

I hit the wall behind me hard and duck just as his fist comes into contact with the spot my head had been seconds before. I bring my leg up and kick him in the chest, pushing him back and away from me. He barely stumbles back a foot.

What the hell?

He swings his leg out and knocks mine out from under me before I can dodge it. I groan when my head slams down on the floor.