30. Into the Mindscape

{Varia headquarter, Italy}

Knock knock.

Standing outside of the cloud's room, Mammon impatiently tapped their foot against the floor. The investigator behind them stood straight and didn't utter a word in fear of angering the caped mist.

The Arcobaleno clicked their tongue, knocking on the mahogany door once more, this time with a bit more force they cleared their throat. "Yucca, open up," they stated. Their voice wasn't loud, but it had a strange commanding feeling to it. It made the investigator stand straighter as if waiting for an order. Such display of authority from someone so small, Mammon, certainly had their place within the Varia.

From where they stood, the two Varia members heard hurried footsteps, those accompanied by a muffled "I'm coming," from the raven head they guessed.

Sighing, Mammon took a step back. Not a second later, the door swung open, revealing a wet looking Yucca. Holding a towel on his head, the male dried his hair. "Mammon-chan," he whispered, making the small mist unnoticeably flinch at the appellation. The voice, combined with this name, it was so eerily similar to that time. 

Sensing the others sudden shift in demeanor, Yucca pulled up a smile. Meeting the investigator's quizzical gaze, he nodded at him, before ushering the two Varia members inside. It most probably was linked to his case, why would Mammon meet him otherwise?

"You can come in," he said turning to go back inside. "Let me put something more... presentable on and I'm all yours," with these words Yucca went to rummage his dresser for one of his work outfit. The towel still hanging on his head as the other stayed wrapped around his waist.

"Take something from the mini-bar if you want," he called out before entering the bathroom, his new set of clothes in hand.

Mammon didn't wait for the younger's go, already standing in front of the mini-bar they took a can of beer out. When was the last time they drank one? They didn't remember. Casually going to the couch, they sat and sipped on their drink. They could try and drown their despair in alcohol, although they doubted they would get drunk from only a can.

Next, to Mammon, the investigator wasn't as calm. Being with the mist guardian was already testing his nerves, but being with them, alone in one of the other leading member's room, with the said member next door, he wasn't sure anymore. The tension between the two guardians not helping his case, the investigator focused on regulating his breathing. Right, let's recite the alphabet backward! They thought determined.