Happy Birthday Beatriz

A long, lonely year had passed without Neymar. So much had changed since he had left. Toby grew a lot; he was huge now. I dedicated more of my time to football, and I had improved drastically. I didn't pay attention to any guys that crossed my path, even though Neymar and I didn't really keep in contact.

When he first moved away, we video called every night, texted all day, and he sent me cute little decorations for my house from Barca. I slept in the hoodies and jerseys he sent, with his name and number on the back. They smelled just like him, and it was almost like he was there with me.

However, as the days turned into weeks, and the weeks turned into months, Neymar and I started to lose contact. Dani kept in touch and he frequently updated me on everything that was going on with the team, especially Ney. I slowly forced myself to stop caring, although I knew deep down I could never.

Mila moved in with me, because she felt like I was insanely lonely. She had been dating David for about six months. He was a really nice guy, who was also a football player for Paris Saint-Germain F.C. I took interest in his huge, fluffy, curly hair, and would always beg him to share his hair care secrets.

But, whenever I would hear Mila's giggle while she was on the phone with him, I couldn't help but feel an emptiness inside of me. Her laugh was the same laugh that I had whenever Neymar was around me. I really did try to move on, and forget about him, but it was so hard.

My twentieth birthday was coming up. Mila constantly reminded me that she had everything planned out, and that she had the 'best present ever' for me. A part of me wished that it was a plane ticket for me to visit Ney.

-

I was miserably pulling up a gold, shimmery dress while Mila waited outside of the dressing room to tell me how I looked. She had taken me dress shopping for my birthday party tomorrow. I was so thankful for a friend like Mila, but I didn't really want to party for my birthday. Snuggling with Toby and watching a movie would be enough.

"How do I look?" I tried to sound cheerful, to not let Mila down.

She was being so helpful and nice, the least I could do was appreciate everything she was doing for my upcoming anniversary of life.

"You look absolutely gorgeous! Do you think it's 'the one'? Like, can you see yourself dancing it up on your birthday?" Mila clapped excitedly.

"Uh, yeah. I think so. I feel good in this dress." I forced out a smile and went back into the dressing room to change into my regular clothes.

I bought the dress, and Mila kept on telling me how great my party would be. She was such a happy, excited person. I wish I could be more like that.

In the car, I drived silently while Mila was dancing to the radio.

"Come on Bea, this is your favorite song! Sing, girl! I know you can!"

I just shook my head and kept my eyes glued to the road.

Mila sighed,"Beatriz, come on! Stop being so upset! You were never like this, or at least you weren't until Neymar had to leave. I know it hurts and it's gotta be tough, but come on. I hate seeing you like this!"

I glanced over at her before placing my eyes on the road ahead of me.

"You don't know what it's like. You're dating David freaking Luiz, who's a great boyfriend to you. You have it easy."

Mila just looked out of the window.

"Just promise me that the effort I'm putting into my best friend's birthday isn't a waste of my time. Promise me that you'll have fun, even if it's just for that one night."