"Maybe I do belong there..." I whisper, "I'm broken."

And then Grandjay turn to face me fully. I see a black fire in his eyes as a darkness descends into his features. A look I never knew Grandjay was capable of as he says, "You think you're broken?"

His eyes haunt me with the hollow pain that fills them as he whispers, "Soraya, you child. You don't even know what that word means."

*   *   *

A knock wakes me. It's urgent- the quick raps upon the door telling me to answer quickly.

"Alpha. Alpha wake up. Alpha."

I don't stop to think as I run from the bed to throw the door open.

Rex stands outside it, face flushed. He steps back from the suddenness, but quickly catches my arm, pulling me away.

"Quickly Alpha, we got one."

I don't have time to ask what he means. I'm to busy following him, trying to keep up with his movement. It takes me several seconds to register the scraping noise behind me. I can only glance back and see Orion running, his paws sliding across the wooden floor as he attempts to stay with me.

When we're outside, the questions leave my mind. I see it there, in the middle of the front yard.

A body.

Others are running, quick in their actions. They know what to do. The movement around me is not one of chaos. It's precise. It's thought out.

It's planned.

They know what they are doing.

I don't.

I slowly walk towards him, falling to my knees to cradle his head.

He's young. So young.

Another female comes up next to me, bandages in her hand, but looking at the male, I wonder if it will help.

His eyes come up to meet mine.

He smiles.

"You're pretty."

"Th-thank you."

His eyes are glazed. I see a film of dreams over his pain as he slips back to escape his reality.

The woman still is trying to stop the bleeding from his lower body. Where his mangled legs laid.

"Horrible. Horrible that they didn't treat him first. Only the lowest pack, the lowest one-," the woman beside me is crying. I watch her tears fall, as if this moment is in slow motion. Each drop landing into place along the male's skin.

"Alpha! Alpha you need to move!"

And then I'm shoved away.

I don't act out from the sudden force. I lay there, stunned. My mind is still whirling. I can't seem to grasp what I've seen.

I knew of death.

I knew of pain.

But this...

This cruelty.

This was an old wound that I wanted to forget.

They move him, carrying him away. I hear Rex yell after me, calling for me to follow.

But I still can't seem to move.

I feel softness tickle my side.

Orion licks the side of my face, pulling my attention to his wide grey eyes.