|21|

Rest the burdens on my sholder- 

(It's to much, they whisper to me

Don't think of the weight. Don't think of the journey. Don't think of the pain. 

(Why should your head rise higher than mine?) 

My view has no limits. No limits. 

If a mountain stands in my way, I won't step around and continue foward. 

(The harder the path, the further the fall)

I will carve my nails and etch them to the stone. 

Bleeding for your desire is never quite so satisfying until you see the red mix into your skin. 

-world_joy_

***

Mom puts down her paintbrush when she sees me walk towards her. I ignore her growing smile though, and bend down to be eye level with Orion.

"Just couldn't wait five minutes.

The neutral face he had been showing broke- as he let his tongue loll to the side from the wolf-like grin he was trying to spread across his face. It has the desired effect though.

I find myself laughing, despite the hard knot I felt in my chest and thickness that was forming in my throat. I always felt like this after talking to dad. I knew Orion could smell the wide range of emotions from me.

The anger from my pores, salt from my unshed tears and sadness in my smile as I rested it back onto him.

Mom clears her throat, enough to snap my attention back to reality and away from those grey eyes that look at me with a clear understanding.

"Let's sit on the porch. I'll have Sandra make us some hot cocoa."

I nod in agreement and push up from the ground. My hand automatically twists into the scruff of Orion's neck- the back between the connecting shoulder blades where his fur extended enough for my grip. The movement itself made me think I acted blind unless Orion was there to guide me. It made me feel weak.

I let go of his fur, earning a curious look from him as he lays down at my feet. A large sigh leaves him before he closes his eyes.

I can't help but grin at the sight.

"He...likes to be a wolf?"

Mom sits next to me in one of the chairs, staring oddly at Orion.

"He prefers it."

Mom stares at Orion a few seconds more before nodding, "I think I understand that."

I watch her as she watches Orion. Her paint splattered hands.

I knew she would understand him. Maybe even better than me.

The thought has a sudden wave of angry jealousy running through me at the idea that my mom knew my mate better than I did. They were similar creatures. It's what I think at least.

Each hiding behind their own shield to avoid the world. Each creating their own barrier to block others off.

We sit in silence before mom breaks the tension. She seems hesitant, but I see a look of determination in her eyes as she turns to me. "I know that's not the welcome you wanted from him."