Acnologia X Dragon Slayer! Reader | Tragic Tale

Start from the beginning

As I started to lose myself in my thoughts, I heard his breathing pattern change and ceased my movements. He always was a light sleeper and often reprimended me when I didn't sleep like him with one eye open. It's unusual for him to fall asleep so easily so I figured that he must be tired from the punishment the captain gave us for sneaking out. He had taken sole responsibility and as a result, was forced to do manual labour throughout the night.

The stubborn man would never let me take the blame. Perhaps that was what made me fall for him in the first place.

I looked ahead to see that the dragons in the sky were falling one by one. They should be finished soon and we'll have to lead them back. I looked back down at Acnologia's sleeping face, not having the heart to wake him when he only just fell asleep.

It'll be fine if I let him sleep a bit longer, there's no harm in that. It's difficult to find such peaceful times in this dangerous era. I enjoyed fighting, especially against dragons, but there were times where I wished these tranquil moments would last forever and the bloodshed would just disappear. I always etched moments like these in my memory and never forgot any of them.

When the last dragon had fallen, I gently nudged him to wake him up. I heard his breathing pattern change once again, but he still feigned sleep. My heart fluttered slightly upon seeing his resting face, but my sense of duty told me what I had to do.

"Come on, we don't have time to play around," I said, flicking his forehead gently. He barely flinched, somehow keeping his eyes closed. "It's time to return to the front lines."

"..."

He didn't reply, making me sigh. It was hard for me as well. As punishment for disobedience, the two of us were placed on separate teams. That was why we resorted to sneaking out to fight together. Ever since we met, we've been an unbeatable team and always had each others backs. I just didn't trust anyone other than him.

"Marry me," his sudden suggestion had my heart pounding heavily in my chest and I looked at him in confusion. "Let's get away from this place and fight by ourselves."

"If only... Even so, I rather not ever fight again. I think that I've had enough fighting for a lifetime," I avoided his proposal with the same answer that I always gave. I held his hand tightly. "But we swore an oath to our kingdom and our dragon will surely come find us."

He growled upon hearing my reasoning, knowing that it was true. He got off my lap, standing on his feet to offer a hand to me. I took it as always, letting him pull me up. I smiled at his messy hair, reaching up to pat it down.

I wish that this could've lasted longer, but our duty calls.

The two of us walked down the hill to meet up with the young members that would soon regret their choice to become Dragon Slayers.

They believe this title to be an honour, but it is far from it.

We lead them back to the Royal Palace with minimal conversation, only giving each other little glances. Just as we arrived, one of the captains ordered for us to head back to the front lines where the most vicious dragons were. The two of us were forced to comply, heading to change out of our casual clothing into our light amour.

We walked back to the courtyard in silence, slightly dreading what was to come. We wouldn't know about the other's condition until it was too late.

"Hey," he suddenly said just as we were heading to our separate teams. He held out his fist to me. "You better come back to me alive."

"Don't I always?" I smiled at him in response, bumping my own fist against his.

We left for our separate teams, ready as ever to fight the dragons. I had a sick feeling in my stomach, but I ignored it as always. I clenched my fists as I heard the fighting in the not so far distance.