Gajeel x Reader | I'm Sorry

Requested by:
cancun-tokyo-la

I wonder too, where my imagination comes up with these plot ideas. I can promise that I've never read depressing stories when I grew up. I think that there's something wrong with me. I'm sorry, I ran out of plot ideas.

『 I'm Sorry 』

Dear Gajeel,

Can you remember our childhood together? You were my first ever friend and I thank you for that. I don't know about you, but I can still remember every single day clearly. Because I treasured every single day.

I still have the iron necklace that you gave me for my birthday so many years ago. It's somewhere in my bedside table, safe in a locked chest.

Don't judge me that I still kept it. It was the first thing that you gave to me. It was it first time you showed any sign of affection for me after months of being cold towards me.

I confess, it was rather cute. You were blushing, your ears were a bright red. I honestly thought that you had a fever at the time. I think that was the time when I realised that you actually cared for me, despite your cold attitude.

That was the moment when I decided that I would stay by your side, no matter what. I would follow you into the depths of hell if needed.

When you gave me that necklace, my heart was pounding against my chest. I thought there was something wrong with me then, but now, many years later, I realised that I had a crush on you at the time.

You didn't see nor realise that day, since you were looking away, but my entire face was a crimson red that rivalled the beautiful sunset we watched together for so many times after that.

As we grew up, I was thankful that you decided to trust and rely on me in dire times.

Even when we joined Phantom Lord and you turned even more cold towards the outside world, you still showed me a side of you that no one else got to see.

We stayed together in a world where no one else mattered to us. We were alone, but none of that mattered because we still had each other. We were still the best of friends.

After we joined Fairy Tail, you changed and I'm so thankful that we were able to make so many reliable friends. True friends who we could trust to watch our backs just like we did with each other.

Suddenly, we weren't the only ones in our little world anymore. Yet I'm thankful that I remained as your best friend.

Thankful at least, until I fell in love with you.

I'm sorry, I broke my promise.

I'm sorry, that I am not at your side anymore by the time you read this.

I'll admit. I love you.

I loved you when we joined Fairy Tail, I loved you when you were nervously pacing in my apartment, telling me about the girl that caught your eye the moment you met her.

The girl that gained your trust and love within mere moments while I had waited months for you to show your care to me.

You became a different person after you met Levy. Whilst other people would never realise, I did. Because I was the person who was by your side the longest.

If you're reading this, then not anymore. Levy can take over my role from here on out. She's more than qualified to do so.

She will be the girl who will stay by your side. The girl who loves you. The girl who cares for the true you. Only she can ever care as much, or possibly even more, as I do for you.

But she can never be me, because unlike me, you love her.

I'm sorry, I honestly tried to stop loving you the way I was.

You told me that you saw me as a sister, so I tried to love you as a brother. But that never happened. I'm sorry. I don't understand what it is that's wrong with me

I'll never forget all the times you've been drunk in my apartment, spilling your supposedly cold heart out to me about your love to Levy. How you were scared that she would reject you.

How could she ever reject a man like you?

I've seen the way she looks at you. She loves you as much as you love her. I promise you that. Please be confident in the future. Don't ever doubt her love for you.

There's something wrong with me. It's not just the physical problems, but just me in general.

Why did I love a man who loved another for so long? I'm sorry for loving you. It was wrong of me to love you as something other than a best friend. A brother.

I'm rambling again. I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for dying on your anniversary day, on the day that you proposed to Levy. I'm sorry for ruining the mood. I didn't intend to die so early.

I'm sorry... I won't be able to attend your wedding... I won't be there for you on one of your most important days...

What a pathetic excuse of a best friend I am.

I tried to wait for you to come back here into my apartment with a beaming smile, but my body just couldn't.

I'm sorry for keeping this a secret, but I couldn't find the heart in me to waste your time, your attention, on me when you should've been giving it to Levy.

I figured that if I kept a distance from you, then my love for you would disappear by the time I died. I was wrong. I'm sorry for that as well.

I was wrong to love you as something other than a best friend, I'm sorry.

Please don't hate me.

I know that Levy would've said yes. I know that she has that beautiful ring on her finger as you read this. That beautiful ring that I selfishly wished to rest on my own finger instead.

I'm such a selfish person. I'm sorry for that.

For I loved a person who was never mine to love in the first place.

Perhaps death will show mercy to me. Perhaps death could make my love for you disappear.

Gajeel, I beg of you. Please don't ever hate me.

I know that you will live a long and happy life with Levy. I know that everything will continue the same as before.

Love, [Name] [Surname]

Your Best Friend

PS: Please tell Levy something for me.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry Levy, for loving the same man that you love. For loving Gajeel, who was not mine to love.

『 I'm Sorry - End 』