LXVII

Dora nearly slapped Remus earlier. And like she was actually going to stay home while everyone else was fighting for their lives. Teddy seemed utterly confused as to why she was changing out of pajamas and into jeans and a t-shirt. She shoved her wand into her pocket and furiously began writing a note to her mother as she cursed under her breath every time the pencil snapped.

Her mum must've heard them arguing because Dora heard her come down the stairs after Remus left.

"Dora? What—what are you doing? Where are you going?"
"I'm going to Hogwarts." she answered bluntly, scurrying around the house looking for her robes, "Remus needs help. They need help."
"Remus will be fine, dear."
"Mum, I can't live with myself knowing that I didn't do anything to help. They could all lose their lives."
"One witch won't make a difference. And besides, Remus would have wanted you to stay here. For Teddy."

She froze and her heart slowed as she glanced at her month old son. What was she supposed to do? Listen to her husband and stay to raise Teddy, knowing it would break her heart? Or leave and fight for what was right, knowing that she might not make it back.

She studied her son for a moment. He had Remus' eyes. Specifically his eyes. A warm amber color that comforted her soul every time she saw them. When she looked at them, she couldn't help but think of what she promised to Remus only moments ago. That she'd stay for Teddy, even though her husband could lose his life.  

She couldn't think straight as her breath hitched and her heart raced wildly. The floor seemed to collapse under her feet as she fell anyway, barely gripping reality. She felt like throwing up, but tried to push the feeling away.

She had to leave. But she promised to stay.

Dora knew that Remus needed her. Together, they could conquer anything. But she couldn't leave Teddy and her mother. Teddy needed a parent to raise him. Her mother wouldn't be able to take losing another member of her small family. She needed to make a decision.

But what was the right choice? Her mind went through a series of flashbacks. Assignments at the Order. All they'd slaved and worked for. How hard it was to fight for what they wanted. What they needed more than everything in the world.

"Mum, I can't stay... it's not right."
Her mother looked so torn, but nodded, "You and Remus better be coming back."

Dora said nothing in response, only nodded as she handed Teddy to her mother. She placed a swift kiss on her son's forehead, pausing for a moment to watch his hair change into the cotton candy color it was only days ago and stopping to look at her eyes. They changed, now a mix of Remus' amber color and her dark chocolate ones. She smiled as her mother caressed her cheek for a moment, then sent her on her way.

Dora raised out the door in the afternoon light, the stars beginning to rise from their place in the universe, decorating the midnight blue sky beautifully. Her hand gripped her wand tightly, almost snapping it in two. Her robes flourished behind her.

She found a safe enough place to apparate, and landed in Hogsmeade. The wind tousled her bubblegum pink spikes messily as she ran her fingers through it in an attempt to keep it out of her face so she could see.

She wasn't going to be useless this time. Not this time. She'll fight to the end, and stay conscious to see it. Her stubbornness must've been what let her into Hogwarts. She ended up meeting Ginny and Neville's grandmother in the Room of Requirement. Upon seeing everyone else, she received questions about Teddy and how she felt. She must've looked a sight, bags under her eyes because of her lack of sleep. Her eyes shining with pain and frustration, and a worried expression etched onto her seemingly abnormally pale face.

Only one face and name were on her mind. Remus. Bright amber eyes. Warm smile. Sandy locks of hair with hints of gray and brown. She needed to find him. Let him know she was here. She needed to let him know that she loved him one last time ...

No, she told herself, tonight won't be the last night I say I love you. He'll hear me say it, and I'll hear him say it.

They were going to live. It won't be the last night he holds her in his arms and they kiss... tonight won't be the last. Tonight can't be the last. It just couldn't. There was too much at stake. And she needed him. He needed her. They needed each other more than anything in the world. Teddy needed them more than she would ever know.

Dumbledore's brother Aberforth mentioned seeing Remus dueling a Death Eater and she took off, shooting spells left and right, her eyes searching for her husband, hexes and jinxes flew past her, nearly striking her. Her heart pounded wildly in her chest. Her breaths were uneven and harsh. Dora felt as if water was filling her lungs. Her eyes darted frantically. She nearly snapped her wand from how tight she held it. Debris came flying at her, littering her skin with painful, stinging cuts and bruises. Blood dripped from a wound on her arm. Red drops fell to her robes and dirt covered bits of her hair and skin.

She couldn't stand to look to the floor at all the fallen. All those who'd died without a last goodbye.

Tonight won't be goodbye. Tonight will never be goodbye.

Her legs were beginning to grow weary as she ran. Her feet began to ached, and suddenly her joints seemed much older than they should be. Her heart nearly dropped. She finally saw him, dueling in the tower. She surged forward into the tower, finding relief that she'd see her husband again.

Hey everyone! How are you all feeling after these last few chapters??

I'm wallowing in grief, but I'm sure you're all much better than I am right now.

The next chapter is almost 2000 words. Do you guys want it in two chapters or one? Since it'll be the final chapter of this story (not including the epilogue).

Anyway, I hope you can forgive me for the pain I've put you all through. *launches chocolates into the air*

Thank you for your constant support and love for this story

Love you all,
Abby